Selective licensing

On 11 December 2018 the Secretary of State approved the introduction of selective licensing in the central area.

This means that any property that is rented out within the private rented sector will require a licence.

Licences can be applied for online from 19 March 2019 and the scheme will begin on 26 March 2019

Additional licensing

On 4 April 2016, following consultation, Blackpool Council designated the Central Area as an additional licensing scheme which will come into effect on 4 July 2016.  This requires all privately rented Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) located within the designated area to be licensed. 

Additional licensing will operate alongside the existing mandatory licensing scheme already in operation throughout Blackpool.  The designation will last 5 years and can be revoked earlier if the council sees fit.

The designated area

 The central area includes the town centre, Talbot / Brunswick, Raikes, Revoe, and St Heliers areas – see the map of the proposed designated area and the list of street names.

This proposal follows the successful introduction of similar schemes in the neighbouring areas of South Beach and Claremont.

It seeks to help address high levels of anti-social behaviour associated with poor quality private rented accommodation.

The private rented sector is a vital part of the housing market in Blackpool and many landlords try to provide decent well-managed accommodation.

We want to support landlords to overcome the current problems in the central area and help to improve the area in which local people live and work.  Further details of the scheme  can found here Central area additional licensing proposal [PDF 1.34MB].  The consultation summary along with Blackpool Council's response can be found here Consultation summary and Blackpool Council response [PDF 997KB]

Applying for an Additional licence

All landlord/managing agents must submit an  application form for each privately rented property within the designated area.  Completed application forms must be returned to Blackpool Council by:

Post: Public Protection Division, Community and Environmental Services Department, Blackpool Council, PO Box 4, Blackpool, FY1 1NA,  or


Please ensure all relevant documentation (copies not originals) is provided as failure to do so may cause delays with processing the application.  These are:

  • Proof of address and identity for the licence holder/manager, e.g. recent utility bill or bank statement and passport or driving license
  • Anti Social Behaviour Plan
  • Gas Safety Certificate (if applicable)
  • Electrical safety certificates
  • Fire alarm test certificate (depending on the system in place)
  • Emergency lighting certificate (if present in the property)

Guidance on how to complete the application can be found on page 11 of the application form.  If you require further support please contact the Housing Enforcement Team where an officer will be happy to assist. 

What next

All landlords/managing agents are encouraged to return completed application forms as a matter of urgency.  Please do not send payments with the application form as you will be invoiced once the form has been processed.

Contact us

Should you have any further questions then please contact us by:


Telephone: 01253 476841