Skip to main content

Local restrictions and government guidance

Due to the rapid increase in COVID-19 numbers across the UK, from 5 November 2020 new national restrictions will come into place. These include:

  • You must stay at home unless you have a specific reason to leave, such as for work which cannot be done from home
  • You are allowed to leave home for exercise, medical reasons, food and other essential shopping, as well as providing care for vulnerable people or for volunteering
  • Meeting indoors or in private gardens will not be allowed
  • Individuals can meet one other person from another household outside in a public place
  • Pubs, bars, restaurants and non-essential retail across the nation will close, but takeaways and click-and-collect shopping can remain open
  • Leisure and entertainment venues, including gyms, will close
  • People are still allowed to form support bubbles
  • Children can move between homes if their parents are separated

Please continue to check these pages for the latest updates.


  • Staying at home

    Staying at home means you must not leave or be outside of your home except for specific purposes. These include:

    • For childcare or education, where this is not provided online
    • For work purposes, where your place of work remains open and where you cannot work from home (including if your job involves working in other people's homes)
    • To exercise outdoors or visit an outdoor public place - with the people you live with, with your support bubble or, when on your own, with 1 person from another household (children under school age, as well as those dependent on round-the-clock care, such as those with severe disabilities, who are with their parents will not count towards the limit on two people meeting outside).
    • For any medical concerns, reasons, appointments and emergencies, or to avoid or escape risk of injury or harm - such as domestic abuse
    • Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which should be as infrequent as possible
    • To visit members of your support bubble or provide care for vulnerable people, or as a volunteer

    This list is not exhaustive and there are other limited circumstances where you may be permitted to leave or be outside of your home. These will be set out in law and further detailed guidance will be provided.

  • Staying safe outdoor

    You should minimise time spent outside your home and when around other people ensure that you are two metres apart from anyone not in your household or support bubble.

    Remember - ‘Hands. Face. Space':

    • Hands – wash your hands regularly and for 20 seconds
    • Face – wear a face covering in indoor settings where social distancing may be difficult, and where you will come into contact with people you do not normally meet
    • Space – stay 2 metres apart from people you do not live with where possible, or 1 metre with extra precautions in place (such as wearing face coverings or increasing ventilation indoors)
  • Meeting with friends and family

    You must not meet socially indoors with family or friends unless they are part of your household - meaning the people you live with - or support bubble.

    A support bubble is where a household with one adult joins with another household. Households in that support bubble can still visit each other, stay overnight, and visit outdoor public places together.

    You can exercise or visit outdoor public places with the people you live with, your support bubble, or 1 person from another household (children under school age, as well as those dependent on round-the-clock care, such as those with severe disabilities, who are with their parents will not count towards the limit on two people meeting outside).

    Outdoor public places include:

    • Parks, beaches, countryside,
    • Public gardens (whether or not you pay to enter them), allotments
    • Playgrounds

    You cannot meet in a private garden.

  • Businesses and venues

    To reduce social contact, the government has ordered certain businesses and venues to close. These include:

    • All non-essential retail, including, but not limited to:
      • Clothing and electronics stores
      • Vehicle showrooms
      • Travel agents
      • Betting shops
      • Auction houses
      • Tailors
      • Car washes
      • Tobacco and vape shops
    • Indoor and outdoor leisure facilities such as:
      • Bowling alleys, leisure centres and gyms
      • Sports facilities including swimming pools
      • Golf courses and driving ranges
      • Dance studios
      • Stables and riding centres
      • Soft play facilities
      • Climbing walls and climbing centres
      • Archery and shooting ranges
      • Water and theme parks
    • Entertainment venues such as:
      • Theatres
      • Concert halls
      • Cinemas
      • Museums and galleries
      • Casinos
      • Adult gaming centres and arcades
      • Bingo halls,
      • Bowling alleys
      • Concert halls
      • Zoos and other animal attractions
      • Botanical gardens
    • Personal care facilities such as:
      • Hair, beauty and nail salons
      • Tattoo parlours
      • Spas
      • Massage parlours
      • Body and skin piercing services
      • Non-medical acupuncture
      • Tanning salons

    Food shops, supermarkets, garden centres and certain other retailers providing essential goods and services can remain open.

    Essential retail should follow COVID-secure guidelines to protect customers, visitors and workers.

    Non-essential retail can remain open for delivery to customers and click-and-collect.

    Playgrounds can remain open.

    Hospitality venues like restaurants, bars and pubs must close, but can still provide takeaway and delivery services. However, takeaway of alcohol will not be allowed.

    Hotels, hostels and other accommodation should only open for those who have to travel for work purposes and for a limited number of other exemptions which will be set out in law.

    A full list of the business closures will be published and set out in law.

    Some venues will be allowed to remain open for specific exempt activities, like childcare and support groups. Support groups that are essential to deliver in person can continue with up to 15 participants where formally organised to provide mutual aid, therapy or any other form of support. This includes support to victims of crime, people in drug and alcohol recovery, new parents and guardians, people with long-term illnesses, people facing issues relating to their sexuality or gender, and those who have suffered bereavement.

    A number of public services will also stay open and you will be able to leave home to visit them. These include:

    • The NHS and medical services like GPs. We are supporting the NHS to safely carry out urgent and non-urgent services and it is vital anyone who thinks they need any kind of medical care comes forward and seeks help.
    • Jobcentre Plus sites
    • Courts
    • Civil registrations offices
  • Going to work

    To help contain the virus, everyone who can work effectively from home must do so.

    Where people cannot do so (for instance people who work in critical national infrastructure, construction or manufacturing) they should continue to travel to work/attend their workplace. This is essential to keeping the country operating and supporting vital sectors and employers.

    Public sector employees working in essential services, including education settings, should continue to go into work. The risk of transmission can be substantially reduced if COVID-secure guidelines are followed closely. Extra consideration should be given to those people at higher risk.

  • Going to school, college or university

    You should continue to send your child to school as normal. People should also attend college and university as normal

    The Prime Minister and education secretary have been clear that exams will go ahead next summer, as they are the fairest and most accurate way to measure a pupil's attainment.

    If you live at university, you must not move back and forward between your permanent home and student home during term time. You should only return home at the end of term for Christmas. We will publish further guidance on the end of term.

    More information and guidance

  • Protecting people more at risk

    If you are over 60 or clinically vulnerable, you could be at higher risk of severe illness from coronavirus. You:

    • Should take care to follow the rules and minimise your contacts with others
    • Should continue to wash your hands carefully and more frequently than usual and maintain thorough cleaning of frequently touched areas in your home and/or workspace

    Clinically vulnerable people are those who are:

    • Aged 70 or over (regardless of medical conditions)
    • Under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (that is, anyone instructed to get a flu jab each year on medical grounds):
      • Chronic (long-term) mild to moderate respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
      • Chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
      • Chronic kidney disease
      • Chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
      • Chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson's disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS) or cerebral palsy
      • Diabetes
      • A weakened immune system as the result of certain conditions or medicines they are taking (such as steroid tablets)
      • Being seriously overweight (a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above)
    • Pregnant

    There is a further group of people who are defined, also on medical grounds, as clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus – that is, people with specific serious health conditions. Over this period, we are advising the CEV to work from home. If you cannot work from home, you are advised not to go to work and may be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA).

    You are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible, but are encouraged to go outside for exercise. The full new guidance will be published on Monday 2 November and the government will write to everybody who is clinically extremely vulnerable to set out detailed advice while the new restrictions are in place. Current advice is in place at each local COVID alert level.

  • Childcare and children's activities

    You shouldstill be able to access some registered childcare and other childcare activities (including wraparound care) where reasonably necessary to enable parents to work, or for the purposes of respite care.

    Early years settings can remain open. Parents are able to form a childcare bubble with another household for the purposes of informal childcare, where the child is 13 or under. As above, some households will also be able to benefit from being in a support bubble, which allows single adult households to join another household.

    Some youth services may be able to continue, such as 1-1 youth work and support groups, but most youth clubs and groups will need to cease for this period.

  • Care home visiting

    New guidance on care home visits is expected to be published before 5 November. For now, you should follow existing guidance

  • Travelling

    You should avoid travelling in or out of your local area, and you should look to reduce the number of journeys you make. However you can and should still travel for a number of reasons, including:

    • Travelling to work where this cannot be done from home
    • Travelling to education and for caring responsibilities
    • Hospital GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health
    • Visiting venues that are open, including essential retail
    • Exercise, if you need to make a short journey to do so

    If you need to travel we encourage you to walk or cycle where possible, and to plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport. This will allow you to practise social distancing while you travel.

    Overnight stays and holidays away from primary residences will not be allowed. This includes holidays abroad and in the UK. It also means you cannot stay in a second home, if you own one, or staying with anyone you do not live with or are in a support bubble with. There are specific exceptions, for example if you need to stay away from home (including in a second home) for work purposes, but this means people cannot travel overseas or within the UK, unless for work, education or other legally permitted reasons.

    You must not travel if you are experiencing any coronavirus symptoms, are self-isolating as a result of coronavirus symptoms, are sharing a household or support bubble with somebody with symptoms, or have been told to self-isolate after being contacted by NHS Test and Trace.

    If you need to use public transport - to travel to work for example - you should follow the safer travel guidance. This includes the rules on wearing face masks and advice on car sharing.

    For those planning to travel into England, you should check the current travel corridor list to see whether you need to isolate for 14 days. You will still be required to abide by the restrictions set out here even if you do not need to isolate. If you do need to travel overseas from England before 2 December (and are legally permitted to do so, for example, because it is for work), even if you are returning to a place you've visited before, you should look at the rules in place at your destination, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) travel advice.

    British nationals currently abroad do not need to return home immediately. However, you should check with your airline or travel operator on arrangements for returning.

  • Report businesses not complying with regulations

    If you have concerns about a business in Blackpool not following government guidance, please tell us.

    We can only respond to concerns made about businesses in Blackpool. Reports of businesses not in Blackpool will not be processed or passed on.
    Once a concern has been submitted, we will carry out the necessary checks to ensure that the business is compliant. If you have given us your contact details, we may contact you for more information.

    Report an issue now