Council tax benefit has been replaced by the council tax reduction scheme. This followed a decrease in the amount of funding provided by the government. The scheme, which has been adopted by the council, ensures the funding gap is met.
In practical terms this means:
- If you have reached state pension credit age, your award will not be reduced.
- If you have not reached state pension credit age, your award will be reduced by 27.11% unless any of the things listed below apply to you or your partner in which case your award will be reduced by 13.56%
- War Pension
- Carers Allowance
- Disabled child
- Lone parents with a child under the age of 5
- DLA- any component and rate
- PIP- any component and rate
This means that you will now need to pay or pay more more towards your council tax. The amount you need to pay will be shown on your bill and how your award is calculated will be shown on your entitlement letter(s).
Please remember, if you have a change of circumstances to your income, capital or household you must report it to us straight away.
If you are not liable for council tax this change will not affect you.
Use our on line application form to get an estimate of how much council tax reduction you may be entitled to and make your claim.
Things to consider
Ways to reduce your council tax for example do you qualify for a discount
- You could reduce your monthly bill by asking us to spread your council tax over 12 months instead of 10
- You could contact an advice agency for support on how to manage your finances
- You could pay your council tax instalments by Direct Debit
- Maximise your income by seeking employment or increasing your hours if possible
If you are receiving council tax reduction and still have to pay some council tax you may be able to receive further assistance.
You will have to let us know the reason you and your partner (if you have one) cannot work or increase your income.
You will normally have to meet at least one of the criteria below and each case will be considered individually and carefully.
- You have children aged under 5
- You have a disabled child
- You are already working full time
- You are waiting to start a new job
- You are a full time carer
- You are in receipt of of Employment Support Allowance with the support component or Long Term Incapacity Benefit
- You are pregnant or on maternity leave
Each case will be considered on its merits however all of the following criteria will also have to be met:
- There must be evidence of hardship or personal circumstances that justifies a further reduction for council tax liability
- The council must be satisfied that the customer has taken reasonable steps to resolve their situation prior to application
- The customer does not have access to other assets that could be realised and used to pay the council tax
- All other eligible discounts/reliefs have been awarded to the customer.
Find out more information from our Discretionary Discount Policy
All applications must be made on line.
Money Advice Service
More information and help are available from the Money Advice Service