There are a number of steps to fostering a child:
Once you have decided you are ready to take the next step, and would like to start your fostering journey - you will begin the fostering assessment stage. The steps are outlined below:
- Express an interest
- Home visit - a fostering social worker visits you at home
- Submitting an application
- Police, health and statutory checks
- Preparation, assessment and training
- Assessment undertaken by fostering social worker
- The fostering panel
- Matching you to a child
- Placement of a child
How long does the process take?
It usually takes on average around 6 months to complete the fostering assessment process. Throughout this time you will be invited to attend a number of training courses that will cover issues such as:
- Understanding how children feel when they are separated from their birth families
- Working with birth parents, including managing contact
- How to provide ‘safer’ care
- Managing the behaviour of children who have experienced neglect or abuse
- Understanding what it means to care for someone else’s child
Fostering is a big commitment and the support available reflects the task. We want our foster carers to enjoy fostering and be equipped to do well.
As a Blackpool Council foster carer you will be part of a supportive community, entitled to the following benefits:
- Financial support - You are given allowances that covers all the costs of caring for the child which will be outlined in the information pack
- Social work support - All fostered children have a social worker and every foster family has their own supervising worker too. We also have a duty system in place to ensure that you are able to speak to someone over the telephone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Training support - Foster carers are also offered an excellent training package and Blackpool Council is keen to support carers to progress and gain professional qualifications i.e. NVQ Level 3 Health and Social Care
If you'd like to learn more about the fostering process please visit our friendly team at one of our events and open days, alternatively call us on 01253 477888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.