A message for bereaved parents
On behalf of Blackpool Council's Bereavement Services please accept our heartfelt condolences at this time on the sad loss of your baby. This information has been designed to help you make a decision about your preferred choice of funeral and the options available to you. It is your right to decide if you prefer the hospital to make the arrangements for you or whether you wish to take full control yourself by instructing a funeral director.
Carleton Baby Memorial Garden
Carleton Baby Memorial Garden was established in 1993 and is dedicated to the memory of all babies who have died. Blackpool Council has worked closely with SANDS (Stillbirth And Neonatal Death Society) to create a special place of rest. The garden is situated in a quiet, peaceful part of the cemetery close to the Memorial Rose Garden, and provides somewhere for all those who have been touched by the loss of baby to sit and reflect in a place of peace and tranquility.
The garden features a unique stone sculpture of hands cradling a baby, circled by stone benches with the inscription "No time to say hello" "No time to say goodbye" Also within the garden is a memorial provided by SANDS and 2 walls displaying memorial tablets.
The hospital can arrange for your baby to be cremated at Carleton Crematorium by prior arrangement, please contact the hospital for more details. A short service of reflection will take place every Tuesday at 9:00 am for all babies received from the hospital.
Carleton Cemetery has a designated garden for burials. This area is only available for babies up to 1 year of age. Graves are available for 1 baby with the exception of multiple births, which can be placed together. A service can take place in the chapel at 9.00 am beforehand or you can have a short grave side service at 9.30 am
Rules of the Baby Memorial Garden
These rules are in place to enable the grounds maintenance team to carry out their duties effectively within health and safety guidelines.
- A small headstone may be erected on a grave. The monumental mason must be BRAMM or NAMM registered and hold a permit to carry out work within the cemetery. a list of local monumental masons is available from the bereavement service
- A stone surround enclosing 18" from the headstone can be provided to place your memorials within. These memorials are left at your own risk with no responsibility to the Council. Please do not place or plant anything outside the 18" surround
- Please do not place any fencing beyond the 18" area
- Gravel or decorative chippings are not allowed outside the 18" area
- Glass or pot vases are not allowed
- Small solar lights are permitted, however battery powered are not allowed due to the safety issue of the batteries.
- All graves remain in the ownership of Blackpool Council
- Any floral or seasonal tributes will be removed when the flowers have passed their best or a period of 3 weeks has elapsed
Please note: Babies up to 1 year that are buried in other sections of the cemetery are subject to the rules that apply to lawned graves and do not transfer any of the special rules that apply to this section
If you would prefer a cremation service these are usually held at 9.00 am in the crematorium. If you have indicated on the cremation form that you would like to collect the ashes we will endeavour to provide them for you. Unfortunately this is not always possible with an early gestation baby. Six weeks after the cremation if the ashes have not been collected a further reminder will be sent out giving a further 2 weeks to collect the ashes. If they are not collected after the two weeks they will be scattered within the Baby Memorial Garden.
Memorial wall tablets
Many people who have suffered a miscarriage or loss during pregnancy have nowhere to go to remember their babies. It is hoped a memorial wall tablet will help with your grief. There is no time limit on requesting a memorial wall tablet. This could accommodate parents who have experienced a loss many years ago. The tablets are sited for 25 years with the option to renew. Any mementoes and articles other than floral tributes are not permitted to be left by the memorial wall.
Blackpool and Preston SANDS
Local helpline: 07938977676 or 07976989809
The Miscarriage Association
Telephone: 01924 200799
Blackpool and Fylde Cot Death Group (Sheila)
Telephone: 01253 723523
The Foundation for Infant Death
Telephone: 0870 787 0554
Child Bereavement UK
Tel: 0800 028 8840
If you require any further information or guidance please contact the Bereavement Services on 01253 882541.