Skip to main content

Weddings and Civil Partnerships

Once you have decided to marry or form a civil partnership, you need to decide if you want a civil (non-religious) or religious ceremony. If you require a Religious Ceremony, see the link on the left.

Civil marriages at a district Register Office or Approved Premises

You may marry or enter into a partnership by civil ceremony at any Register Office or other building (an Approved Premise) in England and Wales which is licensed to do so. A civil marriage or partnership ceremony cannot contain any religious content.

  • Couples do not have to live in the district where the marriage or partnership is to take place but the legal preliminaries (formal notice of marriage or civil partnership) must be given to the Superintendent Registrar for each party in their district of residence.
  • However, if one or both parties are foreign nationals from a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA), the couple must both attend a Designated Register Office in England or Wales to attest the notice of marriage before a Superintendent Registrar.
  • Enquiries should be made to the chosen venue for availability before the formal notices of marriage or civil partnership can be taken.
  • Once formal notice has taken place you must wait at least 28 clear days before your ceremony can take place.
  • Please note that a notice of marriage or civil partnership is only valid for 12 months from the date notice is given.

If you want to arrange a civil ceremony in Blackpool, look at our Wedding Venues

If you want to arrange a ceremony in a venue outside of Blackpool, look at the Civil marriages and partnerships: approved premises list which covers the whole of England and Wales.

The Wedding Chapel (Festival House)

The Wedding Chapel (or Festival House as it used to be called) on Blackpool's promenade is run by Blackpool Registration Service and contains a Register Office for small ceremonies (the couple and two witnesses) and has two Approved Premises (the Tower View Room and the Sea View Room) which are located on the second floor and afford stunning views of the iconic Blackpool Tower and the sea.

Look at The Wedding Chapel page to:

  • enquire about marrying or forming a civil partnership there
  • find out the latest advice regarding ceremonies booked under the current social distancing restrictions


Blackpool Council registration service

Municipal Buildings, Corporation Street, Blackpool, FY1 1GB
Telephone 01253 477177