Current closures and planned closures
The first phase of the Blackpool town centre improvement works have now been completed and roads have re-opened. The second phase of works will begin on 8 January 2018.
As part of our work to improve Blackpool town centre to create a better and more attractive place and to extend the tramway to Blackpool North Station there will be a number of road works over the coming months.
Find out more about building a better Blackpool>>>
Corporation Street/Talbot Square
From 8 January 2018 Corporation Street will be closed between Cheapside and Talbot Road. Talbot Road will also be closed between the Strand and Abingdon Street, for further utility works. During this time Clifton Street will be made two-way to allow for servicing and deliveries and St John's Square will remain open to traffic.
Dickson Road upgrades
We're carrying out improvements to Dickson Road including resurfacing the road and repaving the footpath.
We’re currently moving utility pipes underneath Talbot Road in preparation for the new tramway and will be working until March 2018.
We've temporarily resurfaced parts of the road to get it reopen as soon as possible - but don't worry, it's not going to look like this for long. We'll soon be building a new tramway along Talbot Road bringing you better public transport across our town.
Utility works are ongoing, which may mean some lane and footpath closures, but the road remains open.
Temporary road closures
There will be some temporary closures along Talbot Road/Dickson Road:
- 8 January to 16 February - Dickson Road closed to southbound traffic from Talbot Road to Lansdowne Place
- 8 January to 16 February - Corporation Street closed between Talbot Road and Cheapside
- 8 January to 16 February - Talbot Road closed between the Strand and Abingdon Street
- 5 February to 2 March - High Street one-way northbound between Dickson Road and Talbot Road
- 19 February to 30 March - Talbot Road closed between Abingdon Street and Dickson Road
- 19 February to 30 March - Abingdon Street closed between Talbot Road and Deansgate
- 5 March to 16 March - Dickson Road closed in both directions from Talbot Road to Lansdowne Place
Businesses in the town centre will be open as usual and pedestrian access will be maintained throughout the closures.
During this time there may be some inconvenience but we are doing our best to make your journeys as hassle-free as possible. Please be aware that diversions are in place and you are advised to follow diversion signs around the town centre.
To keep up to date with the scheme follow us on Facebook and Twitter @BpoolCouncil or download our app for ios and Android.
Work needs to take place to replace the carriageway on Squires Gate Bridge. At the same time, concrete and steel beams supporting the bridge which have weakened over time will be replaced.
This means that the bridge will be closed so that we can carry out the works. At the same time, concrete and steel beams supporting the bridge which have weakened over time will be replaced.
Work on both bridges will start on 7 November and will last until the end of March 2018
Traffic will be diverted as follows:
- Northbound traffic will be diverted along Clifton Drive, Burlington Road West, Bond Street, Watson Road and Lytham Road
- Southbound traffic will be sent along Lytham Road, Watson Road, Bond Street, Burlington Road West and Clifton Drive
Pedestrian access will be maintained at all times
Harrowside bridge has now re-opened to traffic. There is a new weight restriction of 7.5 tonnes in operation.