Last Modified December 16, 2016
Leadership and Volunteering
There is now opportunity to attend a Level 1 Award in Sports Volunteering which starts week commencing 9th January 2017. This course will lead onto the Level 2 and 3 awards which you will be able to access from January 2017. Each of the courses are FREE of charge and you will receive continued support from Sport Blackpool to help you through the process.
Help with expenses and childcare provisions will be decided on a case by case basis by Better Start in line with their policy.
Brief overview of Level 1 Award in Sports Volunteering
Who is this course for?
- Any Parent, Grandparent, Family Member or Carer who wishes to learn to lead fun activities for children.
What will you gain from taking the course?
- A recognised qualification and the ability to undertake a level 2 and level 3 Award in Sports Volunteering.
- You will learn to develop skills useful in both a sporting environment or as a stepping stone to the world of employment and/or further education.
- You will develop many different volunteer skills including being able to officiate, organise events, understand fundraising, communicate effectively, understand the different roles and responsibilities of organisations.
- You will learn how to keep other volunteers and your participants motivated.
What’s involved in completing the course and how long will it take?
- There will be a guided learning approach to the course where you will be supported in the completion of the tasks by the Sports Blackpool Tutors.
- There are 4 written units (the theory aspect) to the course split into bite sized parts.
- Practical elements will be included where you will get to practice how to set up and/or participate in an activity.
- The course will last 6 weeks with at least one of those weeks being devoted to you receiving help from your tutor to complete the written units.
- No examination is needed to pass the course, all the course units will be assessed as you go by your tutor.
- You need to demonstrate that you have carried out 15 hours of supervised volunteer work in a sports or youth club. For example, you could volunteer at an after school club, at an activity week or camp, at a festival or sports day at a primary school or at a Cub or Scout group.
Where and when are the courses being held?
Baines Endowed Children’s Centre
Course commences: Tuesday 10th January 2017
Time: 1:30pm start to 3:30pm
Two other venues are also currently being secured. One of the courses will be an evening course (6pm-8pm) with the other being a morning course (9:30am to 11:30am)
To register your interest in attending a course, all you need to do is send an email to: - firstname.lastname@example.org or call Steve Bird on 01253 478017.