What are Building Regulations?
This is the largest function of the Building Control service. It is a legal requirement that a Building Notice or Full Plans are submitted for most work.
The Full Plans option will be checked against standards set out in the Building Regulations, British Standards, Health and Safety requirements and the Construction Product Directive. For more details, please use this link to our information booklet.
The Authority is then required to issue a decision. The works are checked on site through inspections and the Local Authority issues a Completion Certificate if full compliance is achieved.
The technical areas covered include:
- structural stability;
- fire safety;
- site preparation and resistance to moisture substances;
- toxic substances;
- resistance to sound;
- drainage and waste disposal;
- heat producing appliances;
- stairs, ramps and guards;
- conservation of fuel and power;
- access and facilities for the use of buildings;
- glazing - materials and protection.