How do I work out which Local Housing Allowance Rate my tenant is entitled to?
The Local Housing Allowance rate received depends on the number of people in the household and how many rooms they need. The amount of rent paid or the size of the property does not affect the rate received. The rates are based on the number of bedrooms needed by a household. Bathrooms, kitchens and living rooms are not included in the calculation.
The number of bedrooms allowed is as follows:
One bedroom for :
- Every adult couple or single adult
- Any other adult aged 16 or over
- Any two children of the same sex
- Any two children, regardless of sex, under age 10
- Any other child
- Single claimants under 35 years old will get the shared rate no matter what size property they choose to live in .
- Single claimants and couples over 35 years old with no dependent children will get the shared rate if they live in shared accommodation unless they have two or more rooms (bedrooms or living rooms) that no-one else can use.
||Number of bedrooms Allowed|
| Adult Couple
| 1 female Child
| 1 male child over 10
|LHA rate used to work out your benefit
|| 3 Bedroom Rate|