Registering a Birth
Congratulations on the birth of your new baby! Please find details below on how to register the birth.
All births in England and Wales must be registered within six weeks (42 days) by the Registrar of Births and Deaths for the sub-district in which the birth occurred; therefore where a birth is registered is dependent on where the child was born and not on where the parents were living at the time of the birth.
Blackpool Registration Service can only register births which occur in the Local Authority Unitary District of Blackpool, usually at the following places . . .
You have two choices of where you can register the birth of your baby:
- Victoria Hospital
- Home births where the Council Tax is payable to Blackpool Council
Please note: Any births that occur in the Local Authority Districts of Wyre and Fylde would need to be registered by Lancashire County Council's Registration Service. Use this link for Lancashire County Council’s Registration Service.
- In Customer First - located on the ground floor of Blackpool Council's Municipal Buildings.
- At Blackpool Victoria Hospital
2. HOW TO REGISTER IF YOU LIVE IN ANOTHER DISTRICT
. . . then you can register the birth by declaration at any Registration Service within England and Wales convenient for you.
- if you were on holiday when you gave birth or it is simply inconvenient to travel to the registration service where the birth took place
- and the birth took place within England and Wales . . .
You provide exactly the same information to a registrar who records the details on a form of declaration. The declaration is then signed by the mother/and or father and the registrar. The attesting registrar then forwards the declaration to the appropriate registration district by post.
You can pay for any certificates that you require by cheque or postal order at the time of attesting the declaration. Payment is usually only taken in this way when registering by declaration because this is the most secure form of payment by post. Cheques and postal orders should be made payable to The Superintendent Registrar.
Locate your nearest Registration Service.
3. BOOKING YOUR APPOINTMENT
To book an appointment with the Blackpool Registration Service,
- telephone 01253 477 177 for the office located in Municipal Buildings.
- telephone 01253 303 723 (the hospital's Bereavement Office) to make an appointment to register at Blackpool Victoria Hospital.
- Registering a birth takes approximately 20 minutes.
Payments at Municipal Buildings and Blackpool Victoria Hospital can be made by:
All cheques and postal orders should be made payable to Blackpool Council.
- postal order
- debit or credit card
- There is no charge for registering the birth.
- You will receive a certified copy of the Short birth certificate free of charge.
- If you require a Full birth certificate (showing parents' names), then you will need to pay for this. For a list of our fees, click on 'Publications' on the right and 'Copy Certificate Fees.'