A £7m project is underway to give some of Blackpool’s key roads a facelift to make streets more welcoming and shops more vibrant. The project began in January 2017 with upgrade works to Church Street. Since then we have also visited Talbot Road, Dickson Road, Cookson Street and Bispham Village.
The works include resurfacing the roads, improving pavements and crossings, adding more benches, bins and cycle parking.
Work is expected to take place between January 2020 and Summer 2020 in the following areas:
- Topping Street between January and August 2020 in three phases
- Abingdon Street, Queen Street and Dickson Road between January and July 2020.
Some of the new features will include:
- Resurfaced footpaths and roads with better quality materials
- New trees
- Bins and street furniture
- Better paving at crossings with technology and sensors to help blind and partially sighted people
- New public art
For more information on any temporary road closures, see our road closures page.
To find out more about Blackpool's regeneration, visit the making Blackpool better page.
What's been done so far
So far, Church Street, Dickson Road, Talbot Road, Corporation Street, Caunce Street and Cookson Street have all been renewed. Topping Street is currently receiving a makeover.
Blackpool Council has secured a £6.6m grant from the Lancashire Enterprise Partnership’s Growth Deal and a further £740,000 is being contributed by the council.