Council tax explained

Council tax is payable on domestic dwellings and is charged by us to help pay for the services we provide.
The rates are published and provided to every household each year together with information on how bills are assessed, eligibility, how to pay and other helpful information.
We also provide details on how to appeal if you think your bill is incorrect.

Responsible person

Details of who has to pay council tax are listed in government legislation. The occupier of a property usually pays it. If nobody lives in a property the owner will be responsible. 



The person responsible for paying council tax is often referred to as the 'Liable Person'.  

  • A resident of the dwelling with a freehold interest (e.g. owner occupier) or
  • A resident and has a leasehold interest not inferior to any other held by another resident (e.g. tenant) or
  • A resident who is a statutory or secure tenant or
  • A resident who has a contractual licence (not a tenant, but has permission to stay there) or
  • A resident (e.g. squatter) or
  • The owner of the dwelling (this applies where the dwelling has no residents)
Liability to pay council tax is determined on a daily basis. 

There can be more than one person responsible for payment.  

Anyone who has the same interest in a property is jointly responsible for paying. This means that married couples and people living together as a couple have joint liability to pay.
More information can be found on the 2018-19 council tax Information Sheet [PDF 355KB]
Everyone has the right to pay in monthly instalments,usually from April to January each year.
You can choose to pay by monthly instalments up to the end of March.
The number of instalments available depends on which month has been reached and when your first bill is issued. 

Adult social care amount 2018-19

In relation to the increase shown on bills, the government have issued regulations which stipulate how the charge for adult social care is presented on bills, and we have followed the regulations.

What appears on 2018/19 bill for adult social care is the 2016/17 social adult care plus 2017/18 social adult care plus the 2018/19 social adult care charge.

In line with the regulations, the percentage increase shown on the bill is the 2018/19 element of the charge for adult social care as a percentage of the total amount that Blackpool charged for 2016/17 plus Blackpool charge for 2017/18 (that being the main Blackpool charge plus the adult social care charge), which equates to 3%.

Effectively bills for 2018/19 therefore show that we have increased our elements of the bill by 6% – split between 3% on their main charge, and 3% for adult social care.

 For further information please visit this page

handle bar template