People who are severely mentally impaired discount

Someone with a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning that appears to be permanent.

For council tax purposes they must also be in receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • Incapacity Benefit (short term or long term) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Unemployability Allowance, payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA)
  • The highest or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component)
  • An increase in Disablement Pension for constant attendance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes

If a person with a severe mental impairment is the sole occupant (of a property that they own or have a tenancy agreement for), they can claim an exemption.

With the person’s approval, please provide their doctor's contact details with your application so that we can get a certificate. 

Application process

Once you have made your application we will aim to process the application and confirm this to you within 10 days.