Someone with a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning that appears to be permanent.
For council tax purposes they must also be in receipt of one of the following benefits:
- Incapacity Benefit (short term or long term) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Unemployability Allowance, payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes
- Attendance Allowance (AA)
- Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA)
- The highest or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component)
- An increase in Disablement Pension for constant attendance
- Constant Attendance Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes
If a person with a severe mental impairment is the sole occupant (of a property that they own or have a tenancy agreement for), they can claim an exemption.
With the person’s approval, please provide their doctor's contact details with your application so that we can get a certificate.
Once you have made your application we will aim to process the application and confirm this to you within 10 days.