Here you can find useful documents and links that you may find interesting.
At home with fostering
At home with fostering brings you a series of free downloadable resources for all the family.
With information for family members of all ages -including younger children, teenagers and adult children of prospective foster carers, the aim is to help you prepare for the fostering journey as a family.
Information for teenage children of prospective foster carers
Information for extended family of prospective foster carers
Information for adult children of prospective foster carers
On the at home with fostering Facebook page, there is further information as well as video clips for you to watch and enjoy. Please visit and follow to stay updated and to hear all the latest news about fostering.
Whether you are a foster carer / foster family, or currently work in the fostering field - there are useful resources and articles for all those connected to fostering.
HMRC tax for foster carers - free e-learning course
Are you a foster carer? Do you a have questions about tax and National Insurance?
Would you like to know about an easier way to work out if you need to pay tax? This course is here to help build your confidence by guiding you through everything you need to know to get started.
There are useful tips from others who have been where you are now and practical case studies to help you along the way. The course can be completed at your own pace, and at a time that suits you. You can save your progress along the way, so you can dip in and out as you need, and even return to complete at a later date.
Start the free e-learning course
Statement of purpose
The statement of purpose is intended to provide a clear guide of the work undertaken by the fostering team to birth parents, professionals, the public, council members, foster carers and external organisations.
Information contained in the statement of purpose is updated and a new version produced each year.
2017 Statement of Purpose
- You Can Foster - Local authorities in the North West are working together on the You Can Foster campaign to encourage more people living in the region to think about becoming foster carers
- The Fostering Network - A charity providing information about fostering, giving support and advice to its members, and campaigning to improve foster care
- Fostertalk - An independent, non-profit organisation providing professional support services to foster carers across the UK
- Department of Children, Schools and Families - The Department for Education is responsible for education and children’s services in England. They work to achieve a highly educated society in which opportunity is equal for children and young people, no matter what their background or family circumstances
- Department of Health - The Department of Health helps people to live better for longer. They lead, shape and fund health and care in England, making sure people have the support, care and treatment they need, with the compassion, respect and dignity they deserve