Staying Put

Last modified 15/08/2023 09:46:44

 Is it for me?

What is Staying Put?

In May 2014 the law changed and it meant that all councils have to support staying put arrangements if this is in your best interests.  Staying Put is an arrangement that allows you to stay at home with your foster carers 

What does this mean for me?

It means that you stay at home and continue to live with the people who have supported you as you have grown up.  You can stay until the age of 21 or longer if you are still in education.  It means that you have the space and time to prepare to live on your own, when you are ready to. 

It is important that you let your Social Worker know that you would like to stay at home and they will then be able to support this rady for when you turn 18.

Ask yourself:

  • Why don't I feel ready to live on my own?
  • Would I be lonely or worried without my foster carers there?
  • Do I know how to cook, clean and wash my clothes?
  • How well do I manage my money?  Do I know how to budget my money so that I do not spend it all at once?
  • How would moving affect my education?  Do I have exams coming up soon that might be affected if I move?

What will happen?

Just before you turn 16 everyone who supports you will come together to see if Staying Put is an option.  This will include your views and wishes.  This will support you and your social worker when writing your pathway plan and will highlight that staying put is an option that you want to include.

This option will be revisited at all of your review meetings incase you change your mind or your circumstances change, meaning that you can no longer stay put.  At 18 you will no longer be in foster care, but in a staying put arrangements.  For you this means that you are staying at home.

How will it be different for me?  I am staying at home! 

When you turn 18 and you are classed as being in a staying put arrangement there is an expectation that you will contribute towards the household.  Like other young people living at home, you will have to pay 'board'.  This will come from either your Universal Credit or wages from any employment.  How much you pay will depend on how much income you have.  You can pay this directly to your foster carer. Your Social Worker and Personal Advisor will be able to support you and your foster carer to work out how much you will contribute. 

Will there be rules?

Just like now there will be rules in place when you move to a staying put arrangements.  These may be things like:

  • What time you have to be in
  • If you can have friends to stay over
  • What are the rules around smoking and drinking alcohol

All house rules will be discussed and agreed so that you and the people you live with are clear about expectations. You will also be supported to get ready for when you are ready to move on and live independently. 

I am going to university, can I still stay put?

Yes, of course!  You can either come home during the holidays or stay at home for the length of the is up to you!

I want to join the Armed Forces, can I still stay put?

Yes, of course!  You may be able to come home during any induction, training programme or leave periods.  You will be expected to make a contribtion as you will be earning an income. 

The Difference between Foster Care and Staying Put Arrangements

Foster Care and Staying Put
 Foster Care Staying Put Arrangements
 You are under the age of 19 and have been in our care  You are over the agfe of 18 and are now classed as an adult
What you are in our care you have a home with your foster carers  It is still your home, but you are no longer in foster care
You will have a plan that sets out all of the things that are expected to happen You will have a living together agreements which you will write with the help of your PA and Social Worker
You will have started to learn some of the skills needed to live independently  You will be expected to continue to learn and practice skills to live independently
You are not able to claim any benefits It is possible that you will be able to claim Universal Credit (UC).  The housing element will pay for your 'rent' and the personal allowance will pay your 'board'
 You do not need a Disclosure and Barring Check (DBS)  If there are children at home then you have to have a DBS Check.  This will be arranged by the supervising social worker
 You have a Social Worker  You social worker will no longer be supporting you and your PA will help and support you


Remember, If you have any questions, just ask - communication with us is key and it is important that you let your thoughts and feelings be known!