Skip to main content

Religious ceremonies

Church of England ceremonies

If you wish to be married in the Church of England we advise that you speak to the vicar of the church in which you wish to marry. They will arrange an appointment for you to visit them and will organise the reading of the banns. There is usually no need to involve your local registration service.

Non-conformist ceremonies

This category covers all denominations other than the Church of England.

  • Applications should first be made to the place of worship to ensure it is registered for marriages and that the couple complies with the religious requirements of the congregation. Full list of the non-conformist places of worship registered for marriage within England and Wales
  • One of the parties should live in the same district as the church or religious building or it should be their usual place of worship
  • Formal notice of marriage must then be given to the superintendent registrar in the district of residence of each person wishing to marry.  
  • If you reside in Blackpool (at an address where the owner pays their Council Tax to Blackpool Council) contact us on 01253 477177 to make an appointment to give notice