From December 2022
Common Edge Road, Queensway and Division Lane
As part of the ongoing Blackpool Airport Enterprise Zone, which is helping to attract more investment into the local area, bringing more businesses and increasing skilled job opportunities for local residents, works are required on the surrounding roads to facilitate the final construction design of the new eastern gateway access road.
Work will be carried out in 3 phases due to start Monday 5 December 2022 and expected to last until Friday 23 December 2022. The work will be completed Monday to Friday during off-peak hours, between 9am-3pm, to help keep congestion to a minimum.
All roads will remain open throughout the works, however the following traffic management will be in place at each stage to help the flow of traffic in the area and keep it safe for all:
Phase 1 School Road/Common Edge junction - expected to start Monday 5 December. Four way temporary traffic lights will be in place Monday to Friday during this phase of the works, replacing the current traffic lights at the junction.
Phase 2 Division Lane East junction - expected to start Monday 12 December. Three way temporary traffic lights will be in place during working hours only, allowing safe access to and from Division Lane East.
- Phase 3 Common Edge Road between School Road and Division Lane - expected to start Thursday 15 December. Two way temporary traffic lights will be in place during working hours only.
Thank you for your co-operation and your patience whilst we continue to Make Blackpool Better. To keep up to date on the upcoming highways improvements in the area, please sign up to our free EZ newsletter.
From May 2022
Blackpool Central development - Seasider's Way closure to Central Car Park
Starting Monday 16 May the main access route to Central Car Park via Seasider's Way will be closed to traffic for construction of the new multi-storey car park.
- Parking will be reduced to approximately 800 spaces with access via the main entrance on Central Drive
- The link down to Chapel Street will remain closed
- Diversions will be signposted, with traffic diverted via routes at Parkinson Way/Waterloo Road and Bloomfield Road
- Other car parks in the area remain unaffected - please park as early as you can to avoid disappointment
- Other car parks in the area include South car park, Bloomfield Road, Lonsdale Road, Seasider's Way and Foxhall Village. They are all still in use and accessible. For a map of all local car parks see here: Blackpool Car Parks
- Pedestrian routes will be clearly marked
There are still disabled bays in the remaining areas of Central Car Park, situated along the fence by New Bonny Street, opposite Coral Island, as well as near the entrance at Chapel Street.
Disabled badge holders are permitted to use all the bays on Central Car Park, not just the designated disabled bays, with 3 hours free parking.
Coaches are still expected to continue onto Yeadon Way and signage will be in place to allow drivers to initially follow their normal route towards Blackpool but informing them of the diversions ahead.
The New Bonny Street coach facility will remain in use in its current location, with routes clearly signposted and diversions in place. Coach parking information can be found here: Blackpool Coach Parking
First development phase
As part of the first phase of development at the £300m Blackpool Central scheme, a new 1,306 space multi-storey car park is being delivered first to ensure essential car parking spaces aren’t lost in the town and that future stages of the development can go ahead. To construct the car park safely it will be necessary to close the area to all traffic.
Please keep your eye on our social sites and website for further updates.
From September 2021
Coronation Street and Adelaide Street
From Monday 6 September, there will be some temporary changes to the road layout around Houndshill Car Park as work takes place on the Houndshill Phase 2 development, including a new Wilko store, and a state-of-the-art cinema and entertainment complex.
- The section of the northbound carriageway of Coronation Street which runs adjacent to the development site at Tower Street Car Park will be closed to traffic
- A temporary three-way signal system around the junction of Coronation Street and Adelaide Street will control traffic past the site, ensuring that access to and from Houndshill Car Park, the M&S collection point and the staff entrance to the Winter Gardens is maintained
Houndshill Car Park can get busy during seasonal periods such as Christmas, as well as when major events take place in and around the town centre.
Anyone using the car park or accessing nearby areas (including the M&S collection point and Winter Gardens staff entrance) may experience increased congestion on entry and exit, so please plan ahead and consider alternative parking where necessary.
From July 2021
High Street will be closed from 5 July to allow the new subway works to be undertaken for the new tram terminus.
Diversions will be in place so please plan your journey ahead of time.