Major milestone for Blackpool Central as work set to commence
Blackpool Central is a new world-class leisure development on the Central Station site, just off the famous Golden Mile.
As one of the UK’s most important regeneration projects, the £300m scheme will be the largest single investment in Blackpool for over a century and is expected to create around 1,000 new jobs, bring an estimated 600,000 additional visitors each year, and boost annual spend in the town by around £75m.
Developers Nikal Ltd and Media Invest Entertainment will oversee the project, which includes:
- A new 1,306 space Multi Storey Car Park
- A new Heritage Quarter
Plans for future phases feature:
- A major public events square for live events
- Three indoor entertainment centres
- Additional leisure and hospitality space
The application for Blackpool Central also proposes to restore the site’s existing heritage buildings to create a thriving new Heritage Quarter. The Grade II Listed former King Edward VII Picture House will be transformed into a new ‘Artisan Food Hall’, which spills out onto new outdoor space for ‘al fresco’ dining. The locally listed King Edward VII pub will be refurbished into a new pub and hotel, creating a modern, family friendly environment offering quality food and beverages. The King Edward VII apartment building will be renovated into a high-quality ‘Aparthotel’ keeping its original character.
Update - Seasider's Way closure to Central Car Park
Starting Monday 16 May the main access route to Central Car Park via Seasider's Way will be closed to traffic for construction of the new multi-storey car park.
- Parking will be reduced to approximately 800 spaces with access via the main entrance on Central Drive
- The link down to Chapel Street will remain closed
- Diversions will be signposted, with traffic diverted via routes at Parkinson Way/Waterloo Road and Bloomfield Road
- Other car parks in the area remain unaffected - please park as early as you can to avoid disappointment
- Other car parks in the area include South car park, Bloomfield Road, Lonsdale Road, Seasider's Way and Foxhall Village. They are all still in use and accessible. For a map of all local car parks see here: Blackpool Car Parks
- Pedestrian routes will be clearly marked
There are still disabled bays in the remaining areas of Central Car Park, situated along the fence by New Bonny Street, opposite Coral Island, as well as near the entrance at Chapel Street.
Disabled badge holders are permitted to use all the bays on Central Car Park, not just the designated disabled bays, with 3 hours free parking.
Coaches are still expected to continue onto Yeadon Way and signage will be in place to allow drivers to initially follow their normal route towards Blackpool but informing them of the diversions ahead.
The New Bonny Street coach facility will remain in use in its current location, with routes clearly signposted and diversions in place. Coach parking information can be found here: Blackpool Coach Parking
For more information, including parking and coach facilities, please visit our Road Closures page.