Last modified November 20, 2023
Making Changes is a programme for families living in Blackpool. It has been designed to help you as a family make healthier choices and lead a more active lifestyle. If you, your healthcare professional or school nurse feel that learning about healthy eating and discovering the benefits to being more active would benefit you as a family, then you are in the right place.
We also support families with children who are overweight, linking with the team of school nurses and the annual National Child Measurement Programme. Being a healthy weight can be challenging but be assured that our team are experts in this area.
What will my family receive if we participate?
- A 12 week programme which includes education around healthy eating, lifestyle behaviour change and fun themed activities
- A family health check at weeks 1 and 12
- Active Blackpool discounts and vouchers during the programme (i.e. free family swimming)
- Ongoing advice and guidance
- Complete the 12 week programme and receive a free 3 month family leisure membership
- Attend a graduation event when you complete the programme
- You have the option to join Active Blackpool as a member at a reduced rate, 3 months after completing the programme
Who can access the programme?
The programme is for families with children aged 4 to 11 years. We welcome referrals from families who eat little or no fruit or vegetables, families with children who eat high in fat/sugar foods regularly and fussy eaters. Children with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 91st centile or above will be prioritised a place with their family. To check your child’s BMI centile, use the NHS BMI calculator.
- The family must be a Blackpool resident or attend a Blackpool school
- Parents are required to attend all sessions with their child or children
For more information please contact the team:
Making Changes Referral Form
Text: 07467 444656