Skip to main content

Giving notice

Customer information regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) updated 26 June 2020

The Wedding Chapel will reopen to the public on Wednesday 1 July. Until then, contact can still be made via phone 01253 477177 or email All access to the building will be by appointment only.

Attending appoitments

  • The Wedding Chapel will open for notice appointments on Wednesday 1 July, by appointment only.
  • Please arrive five minutes before your appoitment time.
  • Do not use the Visit Blackpool entrance but use the door to the right hand side of the building; the North entrance facing towards North Pier. Although the door will be closed, you can either knock on the door, or ring the phone numbers on the sign displayed on the door.


From Wednesday 1 July 2020 you will be able to give notice for your marriage or civil partnership. If you already had an appointment booked before the lockdown, we have held those existing bookings. Please make sure that you check and bring all the correct documentation required with you.

If your marriage or civil partnership ceremony has been postponed and your legal notice has expired you will need to give a new notice and attend in person again. You will not have to pay the statutory notice fee again if you live within the Blackpool district and gave notice at The Wedding chapel. If you live outside our district then you will need to check with your local register office regarding the fee. Your notice of marriage is valid for 12 months.

Contact us if you need urgent advice. Please be patient as we are experiencing an increased number of enquiries. If you can’t get through by telephone email and provide your phone number and someone will call you back as soon as they are able to.

Covid Secure

The Wedding Chapel has been risk assessed and we continue to abide by the Government's Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance (see point 1.17). Staff will aim to maintain a 2m social distance within The Wedding Chapel, and we ask you to abide by this wherever possible, however guests are allowed to maintain a 1m distance from each other in the Tower View Room with 2m being preferable if possible.


  • ask you to hand sanitise on entering and exiting the building and refrain from touching surfaces in public spaces where possible
  • ask you to use the stairs where possible. Where this is not possible, the number of people able to use the lift is one person at a time
  • recommend that you bring a face mask if you feel uncomfortable being indoors with other people
  • will open our windows and doors to allow as much fresh air in the building as possible

Forthcoming ceremonies at The Wedding Chapel

Please look at The Wedding Chapel for our up-to-date information.

" Please be aware that the situation is ever evolving and this guidance may need to be updated in line with government guidance as and when it is issued "

Giving a notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership

The notice period was extended by law on 2 March 2015. Instead of 15 days, you now have to wait 28 days before you can marry

The law now also insists on specific documents to provide at your notice appointment. Make sure you read this list carefully otherwise you may not be able to give notice

Download a copy of the Documents required when giving notice

To make an appointment to give notice telephone us on 01253 477177 or email us on

The fee is £35 each

  • If you want to get married or form a civil partnership you must give notice in the registration district where you have lived for the previous eight days, regardless of where you intend to marry.
  • A Superintendent Registrar and Registrar, or an Authorised Person needs to be present at all marriages and civil partnerships, except those at a church belonging to the Church of England. It is therefore important you make sure the Registrars are available before you confirm any other arrangements.
  • To give a notice with the Blackpool Registration Service, you must live in a residence where the Council Tax is payable to Blackpool Council. If you reside outside of Blackpool, use this search facility to find your local registration service.
  • The earliest date you can give notice is 12 months in advance of the ceremony. Ensure you allow enough time before your ceremony to give notice; during busy periods we sometimes cannot offer appointments for 4 weeks.
  • The law changed on 2 March 2015 extending the notice period from 15 days to 28 days. We therefore recommend giving notice at the earliest opportunity; two months before your intended ceremony at the very latest.

What is a Notice of Marriage?

The notice of marriage or civil partnership is a legal statement which you must sign. If you plan to be married in the Church of England, you should see your local vicar who will arrange for the Banns of Marriage to be published.

A notice states the name, age, marital status, address, occupation and nationality of the people involved. It also states the intended venue for the ceremony.

Notices are displayed on the public notice boards of the Registration District for 28 days. Only then can the ‘authorities for marriage’ or civil partnership ‘schedule’ be issued. After 28 days (or in some cases 70 days if one or both parties is a foreign national) the authorities are issued in the district office where the ceremony is taking place. Your ceremony cannot take place without them.

The 'authorities for marriage' or 'schedule' are only valid for use in the venue stated, so it's vital that you're certain of the place in which you plan to be married or form a civil partnership at the time of giving notice. If you need to change the venue after giving notice, you will be required to give fresh notices stating the new venue and pay another fee. A notice of marriage or civil partnership is valid for 12 months only.

If you are not able to visit the registration service to give notice because of long term or serious illness, contact us for further information.

Where to give notice

If you live in Blackpool (and the residence's owner pays their Council Tax to Blackpool Council) you should give notice at:

  • The Wedding Chapel, People's Promenade, Blackpool. FY1 1AP
  • Appointments are Tuesday to Thursday only
  • To make an appointment phone us on 01253 477177 or email us on 

If you reside outside of Blackpool, use this search facility to find your local registration service.