Skip to main content

Help if you are struggling to pay your business rates

Things to consider

If you are struggling to pay it is important you contact us as soon as possible.


Make an offer of payment

If you are struggling to pay your business rates or would like to pay this in a way which better suits your financial position then you can put forward an offer of payment online.

If you do not pay and ignore the problem

We do not want to take action against you for non-payment of business rates unless we really have to but if you do not pay or get in touch with us we will be obliged to take recovery action to collect the debt.

Further action

Payment of business rates should be made on the dates shown on your bill.  If you miss any payments, a reminder notice will be sent to you and the overdue amount should be paid within 7 days of the date shown on the reminder. If payments are not made as specified then you may be sent a court summons.  


If you receive a summons you must pay the full amount due before the court hearing date.  If you do not pay in full, we will ask the magistrate to issue a liability order at the hearing which allows us to take further recovery action without further notice to you. It is important that you contact us at the earliest opportunity to arrange payment, to prevent further costs being added to your account.

Enforcement agents

If your business rates account has been passed to an enforcement agent your case is now being dealt with by them. You should contact them and make an offer of payment straight away as any delay may mean that significant costs are added to your account.

Enforcement agent code of practice [PDF 604 kb]

Insolvency proceedings

If you account remains unpaid then we may petition for your bankruptcy, or in the case of a company we may start the process of winding up your company through the courts, including significant costs to paid by you.