Skip to main content

You will require a certificate from the council if you store petroleum to be used for any of the following purposes:

  • In a retail petroleum filling station, for dispensing to the public for use in motor vehicles, ships or aircraft by way of sale
  • In a non-retail petroleum filling station, for use in motor vehicles, ships, but not including any retail petroleum filling station
  • For private use, at a place or site where no person is employed to work

The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 (PCR) came into force on 1 October 2014 which replace all previous legislation on petroleum storage.

Further information is available from the Health and Safety Executive.

Apply for a Petroleum Storage Certificate

You can apply for a petroleum storage certificate by completing and returning the application form together with the fee as stated on the form. Fees are based upon the quantity of petroleum to be stored.

The premises will be inspected by a health and safety officer prior to the certificate being issued.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply. It is in the public interest that Blackpool Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Failed application redress/Licence holder redress

Please contact Blackpool Council Licensing Service in the first instance. If an application is refused the applicant may appeal to the secretary of state.



Licensing service

Municipal buildings, Corporation Street, Blackpool, FY1 1NF
Telephone 01253 478397

The licensing service is available to contact by telephone between 10:00am and 2:00pm Monday to Friday or visit in person by appointment only at the licensing desk at Blackpool Council's Customer First Centre on Corporation Street .