Scrap metal dealer and motor salvage operator

A person carries on a business as a scrap metal dealer and must be licensed if they:

  1. Carry on a business which consists wholly or partly in buying or selling scrap metal, whether or not the metal is sold in the form in which it is bought, or
  2. Carry on a business as a motor salvage operator

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 gives licensing authorities the power to refuse a licence or revoke a licence if the dealer is considered unsuitable. Both the local authority and the police have powers to enter and inspect premises.

There are two types of licence available. Each lasts for three years:

  1. Site licence - this lets you buy and sell scrap metal from a fixed location within the council area
  2. Collector's licence – this is a licence for a mobile collector who does not have a site and regularly collects through door-to-door collections

A collector’s licence only allows you to operate within the borough of Blackpool, if you wish to operate in other local authority areas you will need to obtain licences from those authorities as well.

Apply for a licence

Download and complete the application form [PDF 114KB]and submit with the appropriate fee.

Every person listed on the form is required to submit a basic disclosure certificate from the Disclosure and Barring Service. The certificate must be less than 3 months old at the date of application. Only original certificates will be accepted – if you need the certificate to make applications to other authorities please bring the original certificate to the licensing desk at Customer First where a copy can be made.

Once received, we aim to process your application within 28 days.

Registered dealers must notify Blackpool Council of any changes to their details or if they cease to be a scrap metal dealer.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period.

Failed application redress/Licence holder redress

Please contact Blackpool Council's licensing service in the first instance.



Licensing service

Municipal buildings, Corporation Street, Blackpool, FY1 1NF
Telephone 01253 478570

The licensing service is available to contact by telephone or to visit in person to the licensing desk at Blackpool Council's Customer First Centre on Corporation Street between 10.00am and 4.00pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Wednesdays 10.00am to 1.00pm .