Skip to main content

Temporary use and occasional use notices

Temporary use notices

A gambling operator may apply for a temporary use notice (TUN) to use a premise temporarily for gambling where no licence is otherwise in force, such as hotels, exhibition centres, conference centres and sporting venues.

Applicants must hold an appropriate operating licence from the Gambling Commission, and a premises is restricted to being used no more than 21 days in any period of 12 months.

A TUN must be given at least 3 months before the period specified in the TUN.

Download the application form [PDF 40KB] and submit with the fee of £500. Copies of the TUN must be submitted to the Gambling Commission, HM Revenue and Customs and Blackpool police licensing unit within 7 days.

If no objections are received after 14 days we aim to issue your TUN within 10 working days.

Occasional use notices

An occasional use notice (OUN) can be applied for if betting is to take place at a ‘track’, that is a sporting venue such as a race-track or a football ground, where there is no existing betting licence in place.

Download and complete the application form [PDF 156KB] which must specify the day on which the OUN is to take effect. If the event is to take place on consecutive days, separate OUNs must be given for each day. No more than 8 OUNs can be given in a calendar year.

A copy of the OUN should be sent to Blackpool police licensing unit. There is no fee for an OUN.

No objection may be raised and there is no minimum notice period for the OUN to be given, though we recommend you apply at least a week in advance.

We aim to acknowledge your OUN within 5 working days of receipt.


Licensing service

Municipal buildings, Corporation Street, Blackpool, FY1 1NF
Telephone 01253 478572

The licensing service is available to contact by telephone between 10.00am and 2.00pm Monday to Friday or visit in person by appointment only at the licensing desk at Blackpool Council's Customer First Centre on Corporation Street .