Skip to main content

A hoarding is used to separate a works area. For example a building site or renovation works to a property from the general public. It can be constructed in many ways:

  • Timber posts and panels or
  • Free standing manufactured panels
  • Fencing.

Any hoarding that encroaches or impacts on the public highway requires a licence.

Hoarding licences are generally issued to construction firms or building contractors as:

  • These can meet the requirements of erecting and maintaining the hoarding
  • Have the appropriate public liability insurance and
  • Can meet the terms and conditions of the licence


A fee of £55 per week or part week is payable.


For further information or if you wish to discuss the requirements for hoardings or to arrange a site meeting please telephone 01253 476152 or email