Changes from September 2021
We have implemented some changes to encourage new drivers into the trade. New drivers may now apply for a 1 year licence at a cost of £90 instead of the 3 year licence. The initial £25 fee for the knowledge test has been waived and will now only be charged if you take the test more than once. We've also postponed the requirement to complete the 3 day BTEC/NVQ/RVQ whilst we review our processes and procedures to improve our service delivery. We are planning more improvements as well, so please do get in touch with us if you would like to become a licensed driver.
If you want to drive either a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle you must first obtain a licence.
Drivers are licensed for the safety and protection of the public and go through numerous checks before being issued with their licence.
All drivers are issued with an identification badge with their photograph which must be worn at all times.
Apply for a licence
You should read the guidance notes [PDF 42KB] before applying. A list of fees is also available
In order to be licensed as a hackney carriage or private hire driver, you must:
- Complete the application form [PDF 137KB] for a hackney carriage/private hire driver
- Hold a current driving licence which is at least 12 months old
- Complete an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, £50 fee, which shows you have no criminal convictions or you have been determined by the public protection committee to be a fit and proper person. When you first apply to us you will need to provide an email address on your application form - we will then send you a link with your unique username and password to complete your DBS application online. Once your initial check has been done you will then need to subscribe to the DBS Update Service throughout the duration of your licence.
- Pass a medical examination to DVLA Group 2 standard
- Pass our 'knowledge test' of roads and landmarks in Blackpool. The test also includes questions on taxi law and policy, the Highway Code and the safeguarding of children and adults
- Prove that you have the right to work in the UK. You will need to provide document(s) from the checklist to demonstrate this with your application
You also need to provide a passport sized photograph of yourself and another proof of address in addition to your driving licence, for example, a utility bill or bank statement.
Duration of licence
Applicants have the choice of applying for a 1 year licence (new drivers only) at a reduced fee of £90 which includes the first Knowledge Test or a 3 year Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Driver's licence. (£250 new/£225 on renewal).
The Licensing Service is available to contact by telephone between 10:00am and 3:00pm Monday to Friday or to visit in person by appointment only at the licensing desk at Blackpool Council's Customer First Centre on Corporation Street .