Drivers of horse drawn hackney carriages, also known as landaus, are licensed for the safety of the public and the protection of the animals under their control.
All landau drivers are issued with an identification badge with a photograph of the driver upon it. We advise people to check that a driver has such a badge before getting into a carriage.
Apply for a licence
In order to be licensed as a horse-drawn hackney carriage driver, you must:
- Complete the application form [PDF 119KB]
- Pay the appropriate fee
- Hold a current driving licence which is at least 12 months old
- Complete an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check which shows you have no criminal convictions or you have been determined by the public protection committee to be a fit and proper person. When you first apply to us you will need to provide an email address on your application form - we will then send you a link with your unique username and password to complete your DBS application online. Once your initial check has been done you will then need to subscribe to the DBS Update Service throughout the duration of your licence
- Pass a medical examination to DVLA Group 2 standard if you are over 65
- Prove that you have the right to work in the UK. You will need to provide document(s) from the checklist to demonstrate this with your application
- Provide a letter from an equine veterinary surgeon stating that you have sufficient knowledge and understanding of horses to carry out your duties
- Undertake a physical driving test by a council examiner to demonstrate that you are suitably qualified to operate a horse-drawn hackney carriage.
You also need to provide a passport sized photograph of yourself and another proof of address in addition to your driving licence – for example, a utility bill or bank statement.
The licensing service is available to contact by telephone between 10.00am and 3.00pm Monday to Friday or visit in person by appointment only at the licensing desk at Blackpool Council's Customer First Centre on Corporation Street .