Skip to main content

If you operate a private hire service, and you are not also a hackney carriage proprietor who permits your hackney carriage to be used for private hire, you must apply to the council for a private hire operator's licence.

Any pre-booked work, including airport transfers or work of a similar nature, needs an operator’s licence regardless of the number of vehicles you operate. If your vehicle is equipped to carry up to eight passengers, a private hire operator’s licence from the council is sufficient. Anything above eight seats requires a licence from the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA).

Private hire operators are licensed for the safety of the public who will be using operator’s premises, vehicles and drivers arranged through them. A private hire vehicle can only be dispatched to a customer by a private hire operator who holds an operator's licence.

The driver of the vehicle must hold a private hire driver’s licence and the operator must ensure that every private hire vehicle is licensed. All operating addresses must be within the Blackpool boundary.

Apply for a new licence or renew your licence

You will need to check the planning permission for your operating premises, even if your business is run from home, to make sure it will not cause nuisance or obstruction to your neighbours.

Before the operator's licence is granted the council has to be satisfied that there are no planning objections to the proposed use of the premises. Complete the application form [PDF 101KB]and return with the appropriate fee and a valid certificate of public liability insurance.

We aim to process your application within 5 working days of receipt of your documents.

Changes for taxi and private hire licence applications from April 2022

The rules are changing if you're an individual, company or any type of partnership applying for a licence as a:

  • Taxi driver        
  • Private hire driver
  • Private hire vehicle operator

If you make an application on or after 4 April 2022 you'll need to complete a tax check with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if you're:

  • Renewing a licence
  • Applying for the same type of licence you previously held, that ceased being valid less than a year ago
  • Applying for the same type of licence you already hold with another licensing authority

You will not need to complete a tax check and you should follow the confirm your tax responsibilities guidance if you have:

  • Never held a licence of the same type before
  • Had a licence of the same type that ceased to be valid a year or more before making this application

You must carry out the tax check yourself. You cannot ask a tax agent or adviser to do this on your behalf. If a tax check is not completed, the licensing authority will be unable to consider your application to renew your licence.

You can find all the information you need on how to register and undertake your mandatory tax check at:  GOV.UK - Changes for taxi, private hire and scrap metal applications from April 2022.  

The tax check must be undertaken before you submit your application for renewal.  


Licensing service

Municipal buildings, Corporation Street, Blackpool, FY1 1NF
Telephone 01253 478570

The licensing service is available to contact by telephone between 10.00am and 3.00pm Monday to Friday or visit in person by appointment only at the licensing desk at Blackpool Council's Customer First Centre on Corporation Street .