Skip to main content

Extra help with housing and council tax costs

If the amount of Housing Benefit or the housing costs element of your Universal Credit you receive does not cover your full rent  you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) to help you pay the shortfall.

To be eligible to claim you must be entitled to Housing Benefit from Blackpool Council or the housing costs element of Universal Credit, and living in the Blackpool borough area.

If you need extra help towards your council tax you may qualify for a Council Tax Discretionary Discount.

You will need to complete an online application form and we will look at your personal and financial circumstances.

For example:

  • Your income
  • Whether you have any savings
  • Whether anyone else in the house is able to help you pay your rent
  • Whether you have any loans or debts still to pay
  • Whether you could manage your money better to ease the situation
  • Whether you or your family are ill or disabled

If when we look at your application we need more information from you we will let you know.

Once you have submitted your application you will need to send us an up to date rent statement and your last 2 months bank statements. These can be emailed to or posted to:

DHP Team
PO Box 50
Town Hall

Please note we receive a high number of applications for extra help with housing costs and council tax which are processed in the date order they are received. We process these as quickly as possible however it may be several weeks before we contact you about your application.

If you have been issued with a notice to quit, an eviction notice or you need to move urgently for other reasons, before submitting an application please contact the council’s Housing Options team on 01253 477760 or email

Payment policies

Blackpools benefit service has a discretionary housing payment policy that provides further information regarding who the scheme has been designed to offer extra financial support to.

You can request this by emailing

More information about a Council Tax discretionary discount.