Make a claim for housing benefit and council tax reduction

Claiming housing benefit and or council tax reduction

You can claim housing benefit and/ or council tax reduction if you:

  • Pay rent to a private landlord, housing association or for a council property
  • Pay council tax on your home
  • Have savings of less than £16,000. If you have reached the qualifying age for pension credit, you may be able to have more than £16,000 in savings
  • Are on a low income, for example you work full time , part time or are self employed and get a low wage or you get any state benefit

Not everyone shown on the above list can claim both housing benefit and council tax reduction.

Use our on line application form  to get an estimate of how much housing benefit or council tax reduction you may be entitled to and make your claim.

Please remember that the figures produced by the online calculator are only estimated. You will be notified of your actual award when your claim has been processed.

More information regarding the electronic collection of data in relation to housing benefit and council tax reduction claims can be found in the Blackpool Council policy document

The benefits department currently has a high volume of outstanding claims. In order to reduce this backlog and make payments quickly we will temporarily only deal with urgent telephone enquiries between 3.00pm and 5.00pm.

If you have an enquiry you can email  It would assist us if you include the reason for your email in the email subject for example:

  • Arrears
  • Change of address
  • Change in circumstances
  • Change of bank details
  • New claim
  • Overpayment enquiry
  • Discretionary housing payment
  • Appeal

You can also contact us by post or visit the Customer First Centre.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience during this time.