Skip to main content

School transport

It is a parent’s responsibility to ensure that their child attends school regularly at the appropriate times each day.

However, there are circumstances when Blackpool Council is required by law to provide transport assistance for eligible children.

To qualify the child must be resident in Blackpool and be of statutory school age.

For the purposes of this policy Blackpool Council extends the definition of statutory school age to include any pupil aged four years old who has started primary school in the Reception year and who is yet to attain statutory school age.

Blackpool Council only accept responsibility for home to school transport between the child’s main residence and school.

Where children have more than one address, home to school transport will be based on the residence where the child habitually resides.

Factors may be taken into consideration, and evidence requested, outlining where child benefit is paid, or where the child is registered with a GP.

Applying for a school bus pass

Mainstream schools

To apply for an annual school bus pass from Blackpool Council, please ensure that you meet the following criteria for approval:

Pupils entitled to free school meals or their parents are in receipt of maximum Working Tax Credit/Universal credit if:

  • The nearest suitable school is beyond 2 miles for children over the age of 8 and under 11
  • The school is between 2 and 6 miles if the child is aged 11 to 16 and there are not three or more suitable nearer schools
  • The school is between 2 and 15 miles and is the nearest school preferred on the grounds of religion or belief for children aged 11 to 16

Definition of nearest suitable school
For pupils not applying based on religion or belief:

  • Not low income – the nearest suitable school to the home address
  • Low income – one of three nearest community schools to the home address with available places

Special educational needs

Parents of children or young people with or without an education health and care plan who believe they are eligible for transport assistance can find more information on our SEND travel and transport policy or on applying for a passs on our Local Offer pages