Skip to main content

SEND Service parental consent



  • Name


On this page
SEND Service Privacy Statement
Personal data that we need to collect



SEND Service Privacy Statement

Blackpool Council’s SEND Service consists of several teams who may get involved with providing support for your child and/or young person.

The SEND service may need to hold data about Parents/Carers, Children and Young people when:

  • One of more of the teams within the SEND service has been asked to give advice or provide support to a Parent/Carer, this is often referred to as SEND support
  • An Education, Health and Care needs assessment has been requested. This is the first stage towards deciding if an Education, Health and Care plan is needed.

When you start a request for an assessment you are starting a legal process. This means that Blackpool Council is required to obtain advice and information from a range of services including health professionals.

A parent/carer or young person can start the request for an assessment themselves. The request can also be started by an education setting (nursery, school, or college). The information provided is to allow us to assess the level of support that is needed and also personalise any support to achieve agreed outcomes.

Personal data that we will need to collect will include, but not limited to:

  • Your name, name of child/young person, dates of birth, contact information including address, email, telephone numbers

Special category data, required so that we can meet our legal obligations, including:

  • Information about social, health and special education needs
  • Religion and ethnicity
  • We will collect the views of and opinions of Parents/Carers and the child/young person

We might need to speak to young people without their parents/carers present in order to ensure that we really understand their views and these are taken into account.

Why we are allowed to collect and use your information:

We use the information to make sure that educational settings know about the needs and requirements of the child/young person. We need to ensure that the right level of support is given. If an EHC Plan is issued this will need to be shared with all agencies involved in giving support to the child/young person.

We provide this help and service and collect this information in accordance with the requirements of legislation including

  • Children and Families Act 2014
  • Education Act 1996,
  • Care Act 2014
  • Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014.

Where we also get information from:

Education settings may send us your information or it might come to us directly from you. This may include reports from Professionals. We may also obtain additional reports with your consent.
The SEND Code of Practice explains who we must ask for advice if you have requested an EHC needs assessment.

We will share your information with:

If an EHC needs assessment has been requested decisions are made by a panel of officers which include council, NHS, and school staff officials. Information is shared with the panel.

If an EHC Plan is issued this will need to be shared with all agencies involved in giving support to the child/young person. This is so that everyone knows about the needs of the child/young person and that the agreed support is provided

How long we will keep your personal information

Blackpool Council’s Information Asset Register for General Data Protection Regulations will provide details on the length of time that we will keep your personal information.

We will keep your information for up to six years after any support provided has finished.

How your information is stored

Your information is held on secure electronic systems

Your rights

You have a number of rights regarding your personal data. You can ask for a copy of the information we hold about you, ask us to correct anything that is wrong and object (with justification) to its continued use. For detailed information about your rights please see

There are situations when your information can be shared without your consent for example if we need to find out or help urgently if a child is at risk of harm, to help prevent or detect a serious crime.

Blackpool Council is the Data Controller for the information that has been provided. You can contact us if you have a complaint about the way your data has been handled by email to
You may also contact the Information Commissioner, https// if you are unhappy about the way we handled a complaint.

You can obtain a copy of information held about you and/or your child by contacting Blackpool Council’s Data Controller. This is known as a Subject Access Request. You can also ask for any information to be changed if it is wrong.


I agree that the information provided will be used and stored for the above purposes.
I consent to sharing of data including health and education records between, but not limited to:

  • Health services and Health Professionals
  • Children and Adult social care services
  • Education services and providers
  • Government agencies