Skip to main content

Concerns about child development

If you are worried about your child's development, speak to one of the professionals already involved with your familly.

This could be:

  • Your GP
  • Your health visitor
  • Your child's nursery nurse
  • Your child's childminder
  • The SENCO at your child's school

If your child is already attending school, you may wish to look at the school's entry on this website, so that you understand what they might be able to help with, before you speak to someone else

There is a broad range of services available for families with a child or children who have a disability or additional need, aged 0 to 5 years of age.

Early years quality and inclusion team (0 to 5 years)

  • Provide advice and guidance for Early Years providers eg nurseries and childminders, to give the right learning opportunities for all children, including children needing extra support
  • Through the Portage Service, we support the development of children’s play, communication, relationships and full participation in day to day life.
  • We have Advisory Teachers and support workers that visit Early Years Providers
    We provide a home visiting educational service for pre-school children with additional support needs and their families
  • We work in partnership with other professionals
  • When children start school, we work with early years providers, schools and other professionals involved to help ensure a smooth start

Getting involved

  • Early years providers contact the SEND team Portage referrals usually start with a health visitor, speech and language therapist or paediatrician.

Attending early years settings get extra support

  • In line with the SEND code of practice and the graduated approach, the EY setting is responsible for identifying and meeting emerging or existing special educational needs, and for requesting external support from other professionals if this is required
  • Access to EY SENCo support about an individual child is through a request for advice, which parents consent to. The EY SENCo provides general support to the setting around meeting their SEND duties and supporting children’s positive behavior, as well as working with the setting at the earlier stages of identifying and supporting a child’s special educational needs
  • For children with more significant needs, or if they aren’t making progress, the setting can access Specialist Advisory Teacher support by making a request for involvement, again with parental consent

I don’t think my child is getting the help they need at their nursery/childminder

  • Speak to your child’s key worker or childminder. If your child is at nursery and you are still concerned, you can ask to speak to the room leader, nursery SENCo or nursery manager
  • If you are worried about doing this, you can speak to the Blackpool Parents’ Forum or Blackpool SENDIASS for advice and support about what to ask, who to speak to and help to do this