Customer information updated 1 March 2021
The Town Hall and Customer First Offices are currently closed for ordering and collecting certificates in person
- For copy certificate applications, you currently cannot apply in person at The Town Hall or the Customer First Office.
- All applications should be made through our online service (click below on 'Apply For A Copy Certificate Now') until further notice or you can request a certificate by writing to us using the procedure stated in 'Other ways to apply' below. We cannot take payment for any Collect in Person Services unless you are paying for certificates to be issued when you register your child's birth
If you encounter any issues when applying online, then please ring us on 01253 477177.
- We are currently experiencing an increased number of calls. Avoid calling between 12 noon to 2pm and if you still cannot get through to us, please email us at mailto:email@example.com and leave a contact number for us to call you back.
Please be aware that the situation is ever evolving and this guidance may need to be updated in line with government guidance as and when it is issued.
Records we hold
Blackpool registration service holds the following records:
- All the births, marriages and deaths registered within its district (Fleetwood and Fylde including Blackpool, Poulton and Kirkham) from 1 July 1837 to 1890
- From 1890 to the present day, we only hold certificates where the birth, marriage or death took place within the local authority district of Blackpool
- Civil partnership records registered in Blackpool since 5 December 2005
Records we do not hold
- The birth certificate issued after you were adopted (if you were legally adopted in the UK.) Please see the information below on how you can apply for this (and your adoption records if required)
- We do not hold current records for events taking place outside of Blackpool. For example if you were born in Oldham you will need to contact Oldham Council. You can search for other Register Offices in England and Wales
- Records for life events that took place in Fylde or Wyre (or in the sub-district of Fleetwood and Fylde) from 1890 will be held at Lancashire Certificate Services.
- For family history enquiries, you may find the LancashireBMD website useful to search for events that have taken place within Lancashire since 1837. The 'coverage' sections shows the dates the records are indexed for each district.
- For events taking place outside of England and Wales, you will need to contact the local authority or foreign country where the event took place.
- Stillbirth certificates (we only hold hold records for recently registered stillbirths and in these instances, only the parent(s) named in the record may apply for a copy certificate)
Certificate cost details
|Service||Description||Postage||Online/postal/in person cost||Telephone application cost|
||We will process your application within four weeks.
||Royal Mail 2nd Class post
|We will fast-track your application aiming to produce certificates within 24 hours.
||Royal Mail 1st Class post unless you choose a different delivery option
Please note: we currently cannot offer Order and/or Collect in Person
Enhanced delivery options
- Collect in person from the Customer First Centre, Municipal Buildings, Corporation Street, Blackpool. FY1 1GB (Currently suspended)
- Royal Mail 1st Class signed for – Recorded delivery - £3
- Royal Mail Special Delivery – Guaranteed next working Day - £8 - for priority applications only
Apply for a copy certificate
You can apply for a certified copy of a birth, marriage, civil partnership or death certificate online.
Other ways to apply
You can also apply for a copy certificate:
- In person: You can apply for a certificate in person by calling into the Customer First Centre located on Corporation Street. The office is open Monday to Friday between 9.00am and 5.00pm (10.00am to 5.00pm on Wednesday) (Currently suspended)
- By telephone: You can apply for a certificate over the phone with a credit or debit card by ringing 01253 477177
- By post: You can apply for a certificate by post. Please send your request to the Registration service, Blackpool Council, Municipal Buildings, Corporation Street, Blackpool FY1 1GB enclosing a cheque or postal order made payable to Blackpool Council
Missing certificate policy
- Once your certificate leaves our office and is passed to the Royal Mail, if it goes missing in the post and you have chosen 1st or 2nd Class postage, you will need to contact Royal Mail to investigate.
- If your certificate does go missing, we will not issue a free replacement and you will need to purchase another.
Apply for your adopted birth certificate
For information on how to apply for your adopted birth certificate or to access your adoption records, please contact the General Register Office.
Apply for a stillbirth certificate
In most instances, you will need to apply to the General Register Officer for a copy of a stillbirth certificate. You should enter the information as applying for a death certificate. Alternatively, you can phone the General Register Office (GRO) on 0300 123 1837. Only the parents of the child can apply for this certificate.
The information you give us will be used solely for the purposes of your request and will not be divulged to any other third party.