Skip to main content

Report a noise nuisance

Noise nuisance can come in many forms and can often lead to disputes between neighbours.

Our officers can help assess noise nuisance and resolve noise problems.

How we can help

Noise types
Noise we can help withNoise we can't help with

Barking dogs

Anonymous complaints

Regular loud music or noise from neighbours

One-off events such as a party at a neighbour's house


Ball games or children playing

Noise from TV and radio/sound systems

Babies/children crying

DIY at unreasonable hours

Road, rail or flight noise

Noise from entertainment or industrial premises

Emergency vehicles

Construction and demolition work

Normal domestic noise such as washing machines, 
vacuuming, mowing during the day

Loud stereos in parked cars

 Noise caused by people outside of the property

If you have concerns about a child's welfare please telephone our children's services team on 01253 477477 or in an emergency dial 999.

In some cases we may refer your case for mediation.


We all like a party, and enjoy listening to music. Where this only happens very occasionally and the music is controlled, most people will be tolerant.

Sometimes the noise from a party can be annoying but it may not be a nuisance as far as the law is concerned so we aren't able to help.

If you intend to hold a party, please consider the following advice:

  • Inform your neighbours and let them know when it is and when you plan to finish
  • Arrange the music so that it only entertains your guests - not the whole neighbourhood!
  • Come indoors, close all windows and doors, and turn the volume down after 11.00pm
  • After 11.00pm check that it is no longer audible outside your home
  • Ask your guests to leave quietly

It is quite a different matter if the parties become too frequent and the music is played too loud, or late into the night.

Out of hours noise/antisocial behaviour service

As of the 1 April 2024, the out of hours noise reactive service will no longer be operating. 

Please report your noise nuisance complaint to us following the link below.

Please note that noise should be reported to the council not Lancashire Police. 

Before making a complaint

Before making a formal complaint,try to talk to your neighbour to resolve the problem.
Neighbours are often unaware that they are causing a nuisance and a personal approach cam sometime be welcome.

Make a complaint

After making a complaint

Depending upon the type of noise complaint, we will send an informal letter to the people responsible requesting that they stop it.

Your details are never given to the person you are complaining about.

We will aim to do this on the same day that the complaint is received but it may take up to 7 working days.

If the noise continues after this please contact us on the details provided with your diary sheets.

Diary sheets

We will send diary sheets to you so that you can keep a record of the time and type of noise occurring. 

Please fill these out in as much detail as possible so that we can look at the best way to proceed with the case.

Diary sheets should be returned to us within 2-6 weeks. We will not consider your complaint if we don't receive these back.

After you return the diary sheets to us we will contact you to discuss the problem, give you advice and we may visit you and take recordings of the noise.

We will also talk with you about what will happen next.