Any member of the public can comment on a planning application. Most applications allow a period of 21 days for comments to be made. We strongly recommend that you view the application (including all associated plans and documents) and read the guidelines below before submitting any comments.
Please remember that you are responsible for any statements you make and any comments, whether they are sent to us online or by email or post, will be publicly available. Additionally, comments are published on the council's website, although the council reserves the right to remove from its website any comments that it consider may be defamatory or offensive. Letters marked "confidential" and anonymous letters cannot be considered.
How to comment on or object
If you want to comment on any current planning application you can do so in the following ways:
- By using our online system (currently unavailable), which is the quickest and easiest way to view and comment on an application. You do not need to register to use the service however, if you do you will be able to take advantage of all the features of the system, for example, you can receive email notifications of any new planning applications in your area or of specific interest to you and track the applications until a decision has been made. The system is straightforward to use but instructions are available if required
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Occasionally emails are inadvertently rejected by our SPAM filter. We suggest you check if your representation has been received by viewing it on our online system (currently unavailable). If it is not displayed within 3 working days, please contact us by telephone for further advice
- By post to Planning department, Po Box 17, Corporation Street, Blackpool FY1 1LZ
You must include the following information in your email or letter, if not your comments may not be taken into account:
- The site address of the application
- Description of proposal
- Application number (if known)
- Your name
- Your address
- Your comments about the proposal
Due to the volume of representations received, letters of comment are not acknowledged by the Council, nor will you be advised of the outcome of the application. However, you may follow the progress of the application and view the final decision using our online system.
Our application process pages provide information about the various stages of an application and the options available to you if you are unhappy with the decision made.
We can only take into account matters that are relevant to making a decision on the application. Examples of matters that are likely to be relevant or not relevant are set out below. If you raise legitimate concerns and the application can be amended to take on board your comments we will suggest this to the applicant/agent.
If changes cannot be made to the application and we consider the concerns to be significant enough, the application may be refused.
Relevant matters regarding commenting on an application:
- Relevant planning policies and guidance
- Previous decisions
- Highway safety, traffic and parking
- Noise, disturbance, traffic and smells
- Design, appearance, materials, character
- Overlooking, loss of privacy and light
- Effect on trees
- Effect on Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas
Matters which are not relevant when commenting on an application:
- Matters controlled by other legislation, e.g. licensing, private property rights/covenants
- Effect on value of a property
- Personal or financial circumstances including commercial competition
- Loss of view
- Moral or religious issues
If you require any further advice or assistance, please call 01253 476206 or email email@example.com