A £7m project is underway to give some of Blackpool’s key roads a facelift to make streets more welcoming and shops more vibrant. The project began in January 2017 with upgrade works to Church Street. Since then we have also visited Talbot Road, Dickson Road and Cookson Street.
The works include resurfacing the roads, improving pavements and crossings, adding more benches, bins and cycle parking.
Work is expected to take place between July 2019 and Summer 2020 in the following areas:
- Edward Street and Deansgate between July and December 2019
- Topping Street between January and June 2020 in three phases
This work will include:
- Resurfacing footpaths and roads with better quality materials
- New trees
- Bins and street furniture
- Better paving at crossings with technology and sensors to help blind and partially sighted people
- New public art
For more information on any temporary road closures, see our road closures page.
To find out more about Blackpool's regeneration, visit the making Blackpool better page.
What's been done so far
So far, Church Street, Dickson Road, Talbot Road, Caunce Street and Cookson Street have all been renewed. Deansgate and Edward Street are the next streets on the list to receive a makeover.
Blackpool Council has secured a £6.6m grant from the Lancashire Enterprise Partnership’s Growth Deal and a further £740,000 is being contributed by the council.