Everyone is now responsible for registering themselves to vote. If you have moved house in the last 12 months or do not know if you are registered, you can register to vote online.
If you are unsure if you are individually registered to vote, please telephone 01253 477490 or 01253 477161 to check before making an application.
By law, you must register to vote or you could be fined up to £80
If you are not on the register you may find it harder to get a loan, mortgage, finance agreement, or even a mobile phone contract as the register is used by credit reference agencies
The deadline to register to vote in the 6 May elections is Monday 19 April 2021.
Who can register
You can register to vote if you are:
- 16 or older (although you can't vote until you're 18)
- Living at an address in Blackpool
- A British citizen
- An Irish, qualifying Commonwealth, or European Union citizen living in the UK
- If you are student living away from home, you can register at both your home and university term time address. Registering to vote at your term time address means you can choose where you vote
You can still register to vote if you have no fixed address. You will need something called a 'declaration of local connection' to show that you are connected to and spend time at a particular place.
Please contact the electoral services team for more information.
Use the government register to vote online service to:
- Register to vote
- Update your name, address or other details
- It takes less than 5 minutes and saves the council money on printing and postage
You will need your National Insurance number and date of birth.
If you are unable to complete the application online, contact us on 01253 477490 or 01253 477161 and we can help you.
If you move house, you must re-register to vote.
The electoral register is only updated at certain times of the year - generally the first of every month, apart from in October and November. There are strict deadlines which mean that you can only be added to the register if we receive your application on time and we have all the information we need to process it.