Voting by post is an easy and convenient way of voting.
You can apply for a postal vote for one election, a set period of time or permanently. Postal votes are sent out before election day.
If you live overseas, consider how long it may take your postal vote to arrive as this could affect us receiving your vote in time to be counted.
Apply for a postal vote
To apply for a postal vote you contact the electoral services team on 01253 477490 or 01253 477161 to be sent one or download the form below and return it to us by email at email@example.com
Postal vote application form [PDF 33KB]
When completing the form, you will need to provide:
- Your name and the full address of the property you are registered at
- Your signature and
- Date of birth
Every time you vote by post, you need to fill in a postal voting statement with your signature and date of birth. The signature and date of birth on the statement will be checked against your original application to make sure nobody else can use your vote
If you cannot sign the application form, or can't sign the same way every time, please contact the electoral services team on 01253 477490 or 01253 477161 to request an application to waive the requirement to provide a signature.
The deadline to apply to for a postal vote for the elections on 6 May 2021 is Tuesday 20 April 2021.
Voting by proxy means that you can appoint someone else to vote on your behalf. Proxy voting is convenient if you are unable to get to your polling station on election day. Your proxy can either vote by post or vote at a polling station.
To apply for a proxy vote, both you and your proxy must be individually registered and meet any of the following criteria:
- You are unable to go to the polling station for one particular election e.g. if you are away on holiday
- You have physical condition that means you cannot go to the polling station on election day
- Your employment means you cannot go to polling station on election day
- Your attendance on an education course means you cannot go to the polling station on election day
- You are a British citizen living overseas (Parliamentary and European parliamentary only)
- You are a crown servant or a member of Her Majesty's armed forces
- Your proxy must be able to vote in the type of election concerned. Your proxy may not vote for more than two people unless they are a close relative of you
You can apply for a proxy vote for one election, a specific period or permanently.
If you are unsure if you are individually registered, please contact our office on 01253 477490 or 01253 477161 to check.
The deadline for applications to vote by proxy is 6 working days before polling day. Please note the electoral services team must have received it by this point. The deadline for applications for the 6 May 2021 elections is Tuesday 27 April 2021.
Apply for a proxy vote
To apply for a proxy vote, please contact the electoral services team on 01253 477490 or 01253 477161.
You will need to provide your signature and date of birth on your application. If you are unable to sign your form, please contact us.
As proxy voting is not an on-demand service, you may have to get someone to support your application to confirm that your reason for applying to vote by proxy is valid. Please read the notes that accompany the application form carefully to find out if you need someone to support your application.