Talbot Gateway regeneration scheme update
Working in partnership with Blackpool Council and Muse developments, Robertson Construction, the main contractor, has taken over of the existing Wilko store and car park on Talbot Road as of 1 June 2020 in order to carry out inspections before demolition starts.
Once demolition has taken place there will be a new Holiday Inn Hotel, tramway link and underpass leading to the station. Works will take around 2 years to complete.
The scheme will be complete in two phases:
- Phase 1 - Demolition of the existing building.
- Phase 2 - Construction and completion of the new hotel, incorporation of the Blackpool tramway to link into Blackpool North train station, construction of a new underpass and external works around the new hotel site
Phase 1 will involve a series of site investigations on the existing buildings and demolition will commence upon completion of the investigations in August.
Site hoardings will be put up around the building as well as some partial road and footpath closures around Dickson Road along with traffic management to accommodate safe demolition of the buildings. The underpass leading to the station will also be closed on both sides for the duration of the work.
Demolition will be complete in approx. 20 weeks.
Proposed Schedule of Works:
- Inspection and demolition of Wilko’s building, Talbot Road - June to December 2020
- Construction of the high street underpass - November 2020 to April 2021
- Construction of the Holiday Inn Hotel - October 2020 to April 2022
- Tram extension and track completion - January to May 2021
Robertson have already engaged with Blackpool and Fylde College Build Up programme and will be actively engaging with local communities, schools and colleges during the life of the project. The aim is to promote the construction industry and the career paths available. The project will aim to generate training and job opportunities for local people and support the local economy by prioritising spend in the FY postcode.
For more information, please visit our news page