We want Blackpool.gov.uk to be as accessible and usable as possible. We are actively working to improve the accessibility and usability of our website.
We aim to meet Double-A standard of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1. These guidelines explain how to make web content more accessible for disabled people. We acknowledge that we don't always meet this standard and where we don't we are working to meet it.
Cascading style sheets are used for visual layout. Font sizes are set relatively so that the pages will increase or decrease with your browser settings.
Our site used 'Skip to content' - At the top of every page is a link that can be tabbed to using a keyboard. This will skip passed the rest of the menu items and begin the main page content.
We also use HTML heading tags to convey the document structure.
This statement only applies to our main website at www.blackpool.gov.uk. It does not apply to sub-domains such as democracy.blackpool.gov.uk or idoxpa.blackpool.gov.uk.
Our site works best on the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, Internet Explorer and other browsers. If you do not have the latest version we recommend upgrading.
You can use your browser settings to change the text size for all the websites that you visit. The technique for doing this is slightly different depending on the browser that you use:
Google Chrome: Select one of the 'Text Zoom' options in the 'Customise and control Google Chrome' menu
- Internet Explorer 9: Select 'Settings', then one of the options under 'Zoom'
- Internet Explorer 7/8: Select the 'Page' menu, then one of the options under 'Zoom' or 'Text Size'
- Internet Explorer 6: Select the 'View' menu, and select one of the options under 'Text Size'
- Mozilla Firefox: Select the 'View' menu, then 'Zoom', then one of the options
- Opera: Select the 'View' menu, then one of the 'Zoom' percentage options
Other browsers may also have similar options available. Please consult the documentation provided with your browser if similar options to the ones above aren't available.
Parts of our site not accessible
Some of web applications we use need improving and we are working with suppliers to bring these up to date.
- Committee minutes and agendas search and display system
- Pay links pages
- Secure online payment sites
- Council tax/Business rates/Benefits portal
- Some transactional forms (for example Corporate Complaint Procedure)
- Web Tendering Portal (The Chest)
- Library catalogue
- School admissions
- Register a Birth/Death appointment
- Licensing applications
- School's Forum
- Job applications
Where images are displayed on our site we use alternative text (alt-tags) to describe the content. We recognise that in some instances these may not be very descriptive. We are currently working to provide more descriptive text where necessary.
PDFs and non-HTML documents
Due to the high volume and complexity, it is not practical to make all existing non-HTML documents on our website fully accessible.
However, we now only upload fully accessible non-HTML documents to our website.
We are always looking at ways to improve accessibility on our website. If you've experienced any accessibility problems whilst using this site, we would welcome your suggestions and comments.