Skip to main content

A private members' club can be licensed with a Club Premises Certificate under the Licensing Act 2003 to permit the supply of alcohol and provision of other licensable activities, including entertainment, to members of the club and their guests.

If a club wishes to provide licensable activities for non members – for example when hiring out a function room - it should consider applying for a premises licence . Please call the licensing service for further advice on which is most appropriate.

A club must be used for ‘qualifying club activities’, and be established and conducted in good faith.

Apply for a new club premises certificate

A club can apply for a club premises certificate for any premises which are occupied and used regularly for club purposes. The application procedure for a club premises certificate is similar to that for a premises licence , with the exception that no designated premises supervisor is required for a members' club.

Please read the guidance notes[PDF 166KB] before applying – this gives information about the application procedure including requirements for submitting plans, advertising the application, the requirement to serve the application on each of the responsible authorities and the fees. A copy of the club rules must also be submitted to the licensing authority.

Or download and complete the application form for a new club premises certificate [PDF 162KB].

You will also need to complete the declaration for a club premises certificate form[PDF 100KB].

Consultation period

There is a 28 day consultation period when a new club premises certificate application is submitted. The premises may be inspected before an application is considered.

Any responsible authority or interested party may make representations to the licensing authority before the certificate is granted. If representations are made a hearing will be held to consider the application and the representations. The licensing authority will notify all parties of the decision.

An interested party is:

  • A person living near the premises or a body representing such a person
  • A person involved in a business near the premises or a body representing such a person

If no objections are received at the end of this period the certificate will be granted and we aim to issue it within 10 working days.

Once granted the licensing authority must be kept informed of any change of name, registered address or alteration of the club rules.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent applies. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from Blackpool Council by the end of the target completion period.

Failed application redress/Licence holder redress

A failed applicant will receive notice of the refusal of an application for a certificate from the licensing service. If an application is rejected, the applicant may appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed.

A responsible authority or interested party may appeal if they argue that a certificate should not have been granted or that different or additional conditions or limitations on activities should have been made.


Licensing service

Municipal buildings, Corporation Street, Blackpool, FY1 1NF
Telephone 01253 478572

The licensing service is available to contact by telephone between 10.00am and 2.00pm Monday to Friday or visit in person by appointment only at the licensing desk at Blackpool Council's Customer First Centre on Corporation Street .