Skip to main content

A Personal Alcohol Licence authorises an individual to supply alcohol or allow the supply of alcohol in accordance with a premises licence. 

You must apply to the local authority in which you live for a personal licence, not to the authority in which you intend to work. 

Holding a personal licence is a mandatory requirement if you wish to be named as the designated premises supervisor (DPS) on a premises licence.

Apply for a new personal licence

Please read the guidance notes [PDF 166KB] before applying. When submitting your application you must provide:

  • Evidence that you have passed an approved licensing qualification.
  • A criminal conviction certificate which cannot be more than one calendar month old. A Basic Disclosure certificate can be obtained from the Disclosure and Barring Service. If you have any relevant offences a copy of your application will be sent to Lancashire Constabulary who may object to the grant of the licence.
  • 2 passport sized photographs - one must be certified as a true likeness of you.
  • A completed application form for a Personal Licence [PDF 111KB] which includes the disclosure of convictions and declaration
  • Fee of £37
  • Proof that you are entitled to work in the UK (see guidance notes on the back of the application form for ways in which to demonstrate your "Right to Work" status.)

Once we receive your complete application, assuming you have no relevant offences we aim to process your application within 5 working days.

Removal of requirement to renew a personal licence

As a result of the Deregulation Act 2015 the government removed the requirement to renew personal licences with effect from 1 April 2015. Personal Licences are therefore now valid indefinitely.

If you have already been issued with a personal licence which shows an expiry date you do not need to renew it, even when the date showing on your existing licence passes.

We will not automatically be issuing new licences to remove the expiry date, however if you would like a new personal licence issuing without an expiry date showing you can return your existing licence (badge and paper counterpart) together with a fee of £10.50.

Changing your name and address

As a personal licence holder you must inform us in writing as soon as reasonably possible of any change to your name or address details.  Failure to notify us of such changes is an offence. Both parts of your licence (or a statement as to why it cannot be produced) should accompany the notification together with the fee of £10.50.

Your amended licence will normally be issued within 5 working days.

Copies of licences

You can apply for a copy of your licence if it has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed. Your request should be made in writing with the fee of £10.50.

Your duplicate licence will normally be issued within 5 working days.


Licensing service

Municipal buildings, Corporation Street, Blackpool, FY1 1NF
Telephone 01253 478572

The licensing service is available to contact by telephone between 10:00am and 2:00pm Monday to Friday or visit in person by appointment only at the licensing desk at Blackpool Council's Customer First Centre on Corporation Street . 

How we handle to your data

To find out how Blackpool Council handles your data, please visit our Data protection page