Skip to main content

Council tax reduction scheme

Council Tax Reduction helps people who are on a low income or claiming certain benefits to pay some of their Council Tax bill. You can claim Council Tax Reduction if you own your own home or rent. You can also claim if you are working or unemployed. Entitlement to Council Tax Reduction is based on how much income, capital and savings your household has.


    • If you have reached state pension age, your calculated Council Tax Reduction award will not have any further reduction applied unless you have a partner who has not yet reached pension age.
If you have not
    reached state pension credit age, your award will be reduced by 27.11% unless any of the benefits listed below apply to you and/or your partner, in which case your award will be reduced by 13.56%:
    • War Pension 
    • Carers Allowance
    • Disabled child
    • Lone parents with a child under the age of 5
    • DLA- any component and rate
    • PIP- any component and rate
    • Income Support
    • Job Seekers Allowance (Income based)
    • Employment and Support Allowance (Income based)
    • UC not working
    • UC - limited capability for work (previously ESA)
    • JSAC
    • ESA

How to apply

Use our online application form to make your claim.

Things to consider

Ways to help you pay your Council Tax bill:

Discretionary discount

If you are receiving a Council Tax Reduction you will still have something to pay, so depending on your circumstance you may be able to receive further assistance. You will need to let us know the reason you and your partner (if you have one) cannot work or increase your income.

You will normally have to meet at least one of the criteria below and each case will be considered individually and carefully:

  • You have children aged under 5
  • You have a disabled child
  • You are already working full time
  • You are waiting to start a new job
  • You are a full time carer
  • You are in receipt of Employment Support Allowance with the support component or Long Term Incapacity Benefit
  • You are pregnant or on maternity leave

Each case will be considered on its merits however all of the following criteria will also have to be met:

  • There must be evidence of hardship or personal circumstances that justifies a further reduction of your Council Tax bill
  • We must be satisfied that you have taken reasonable steps to resolve your situation prior to application
  • You do not have access to other assets which could be realised and used to pay the Council Tax
  • All other eligible discounts have been applied for and awarded

Find out more information from our Discretionary Discount Policy [PDF 720KB].

Money Advice Service

More information and help are available from the Money Advice Service