Skip to main content

Documents you need to provide when giving notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership

An appointment is always required to give notice.  Please arrive 5 minutes before the start time of your appointment, if you arrive late, you will not be seen, and no refund will be given. You will have to book another appointment and pay the fee again. 

  • The payment made at the time of booking is a booking fee, provided you attend your appointment this fee will be used to cover the cost of your appointment. The booking fee is non-refundable
  • The total chargeable fee to book this appointment will be £42 each. This must be paid by card to complete your booking. There may be additional charges made at your appointment
  • Any change made to an appointment with less than 2 working days’ notice, will require a fresh appointment to be made and the full appointment fees charged
  • If you do not attend with the correct documents or without an interpreter when one is needed, the fee will not be refunded, and you will have to book another appointment and pay the fee again
Foreign nationals (subject to immigration control). If you email and provide your phone number along with details of your enquiry someone will call you back as soon as they are able to discuss documentation required.

An overview of the documents you need to bring to your appointment

1. Details of the final venue for your ceremony

If your ceremony is taking place outside Blackpool, anywhere within England or Wales, you should bring the confirmation letter of your booking stating the venue name and address.

You will also need to tell the registrar which local authority district your ceremony venue falls in

2. Evidence of name, surname, nationality and date of birth

You must bring one of the following documents:


A valid UK, Irish or EU Passport (an EU passport is required where one or both parties have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme – see Section 3.


British nationals only

  • If you were born on or before 31 December 1982, a UK birth certificate*
  • If you were born on or after 1 January 1983, a Full UK birth certificate (showing one or both parents’ names and places of birth) plus your mother’s UK birth certificate *
  • Certificate of registration/naturalisation as a British Citizen
  • Valid biometric immigration document
  • Valid Home Office travel document

* If your birth certificate is not in the name, you are using today, we will also need to see the evidentiary link of how your name has changed, whether through a Change of Name Deed or through marriage or civil partnership. If there have been multiple marriages or civil partnerships leading to name changes, we will need to see the linking original marriage or civil partnership certificates showing each surname change up to your present name.

3. Evidence of Immigration status for EU nationals

A person is exempt from immigration control if they:

  • Are a British or Irish citizen
  • Have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • Have a pending application with the EU Settlement Scheme made before 30 June 2021, where a decision hasn’t been made yet

European nationals still need to provide evidence of their immigration status, even if they have been granted ‘Settled status,’ ‘Pre-settled status’ or have a pending application with the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS).

You must bring:

  • A valid 6 digit ‘share code’ with you which allows us to view your status on the Home Office website. Without this, your appointment will not go ahead and you may still be charged your full appointment fee
  • The share code is only valid for a period of 30 days so make sure your notice appointment is within 30 days of generating your code
  • You can generate a ‘share code’ on the Home Office website 
  • You can either print the screen showing the code or write it down. Please do not email it to us


  • If you requested a paper application when applying for EUSS prior to 30 June 2021 and your application is still pending, then you must bring in your paper ‘Certificate of Application’

Please note: if you are both EU nationals and one or both of you do not have EUSS status, then you will need further immigration evidence, the guidance for which is in Documents required when giving notice - Non-relevant nationals. Please contact us for further advice.

4. Evidence of home address

These documents must show your current name, and the address you have lived at for the previous seven nights immediately before attending your notice appointment. Any documents dated outside of the dates specified below will not be accepted.

If you are using a passport as evidence of nationality, then you should bring one of the following documents

If you are using your full birth certificate and your mother’s birth certificate as evidence of nationality, then you should bring two of the following documents (one of them preferably being a photo driving licence if available)

  • Utility bill – a gas, water or electricity bill dated within 3 months of your appointment
  • Bank statement – dated within 1 month of your appointment
  • Council Tax bill – dated within 1 year of your appointment
  • Mortgage statement – dated within 1 year of your appointment
  • Residential tenancy agreement - showing the name, address and signature(s) of the relevant parties
  • UK driving licence – must be valid showing your current name and address
  • Letter from the owner/proprietor of an address which is the notice giver’s current place of residence – this must:
    • state the name of the person giving notice and that they have resided at the address for at least 7 full days immediately prior to the date on which notice is to be given
    • state that the person providing the letter is the owner or proprietor and give their name
    • state the name and address of the owner/proprietor and be signed and dated within one month of the notice date
    • a copy of the owner/proprietor’s utility bill should also be provided, dated no more than 3 months before the notice date or their Council Tax bill dated within one year of the appointment, showing their name and address.

5. Evidence of the ending of any former marriages or civil partnerships

If you’ve been married or in a civil partnership before, whether in the UK or anywhere else in the world, you’ll also need to bring one of the following documents. (All documents should be originals and they should be printed out in hard copy form to bring to your appointment):

  • A decree absolute
  • Proof of annulment
  • A dissolution of civil partnership
  • Your former partner’s death certificate UK Divorce or Dissolution
  • The Decree Absolute or Dissolution document must show the official court stamp
  • If you have pursued the option of a divorce/dissolution via the end-to-end digital process with Her Majesty’s Court and Tribunal Service (HMCTS), you will still need to print out a copy of your final digital Decree Absolute/ Dissolution document. Mobile connectivity cannot be relied on in our building.

Foreign divorce

  • If your divorce, annulment or dissolution was granted outside of the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man, you will have to pay an extra fee of either £50 for us to check your documents or £75 if we need to refer your documents to the General Register Office for them to consider your documents
  • Please be advised, these fees are non-refundable in the event that your foreign divorce is turned down
  • If the foreign document is not in English, then you will also need to provide a third party translation


  • If you were widowed because your former spouse passed away, you will need to provide an original death certificate of your late husband or wife or civil partner
  • If you are not named anywhere on your former spouse’s death certificate, then you will also need to provide the original marriage or civil partnership certificate. (Please check with us if unsure when making your appointment)

6. Evidence of any name changes

  • If your current forename and surname is not identical to that on your birth certificate, Decree Absolute, Civil Partnership Dissolution or former spouses death certificate and you do not have a change of name document or only have a birth certificate to show nationality, you will also need to produce an original marriage or civil partnership certificate(s) to show the link between your names
  • If you have changed names a number of times, either through multiple marriages or change of name deeds, then you may need to produce an original certificate or legal document for each marriage/civil partnership or name change that you have gone through
  • If you have been adopted, then your original adoption certificate is the valid legal document that we will need to see
  • If you are in any doubt about what to bring please ring for advice as we cannot take a notice without the correct documentation and we do not want you to have a wasted journey


All documents must be originals and not photocopies