The Blue Badge (Disabled Persons) Parking Scheme is a national scheme that allows disabled people in England to maintain their independence by enabling them to park as close as possible to their destination.
Blackpool Council runs the scheme for Blackpool residents on behalf of the Department for Transport. They provide guidance and information on how to run and enforce the scheme.
From 30 August 2019, the government will be extending the Blue Badge eligibility criteria to people who have less visible disabilities, making journeys more accessible. Whilst more people will be eligible for a blue badge, not everyone with non-physical disabilities will qualify based on the guidelines and criteria.
You will be able to apply for “hidden” or “non-physical” conditions or disabilities from 30 August 2019.
Please see the government rules for using blue badges in England.
If you visit Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland the rules will be different and you will need to look at their guidelines
Entitlement to a Blue Badge
You are eligible for a Blue Badge without any assessment if you are over 2 years old and you:
- Receive 8 points or more for the ‘Moving Around’ element of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- Receive the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
- Receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- A registered blind person under the National Assistance Act 1948
- Have been awarded a benefit (giving rise to a lump sum at tariffs 1-8 inclusive) under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) and has also been certified by the service personnel and veterans' agency as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
You can still apply for a Blue Badge if you do not meet the above criteria but you:
- Have a permanent and substantial disability which means you are unable to walk or have very considerable difficulty in walking
- Have a severe disability in both upper limbs and regularly drive a motor vehicle, but have difficulty operating parking meters
- Have a child/children under 3 years of age who, because of a specific medical condition, need to travel with bulky medical equipment or need to be close to a vehicle for emergency medical treatment
Apply for or renew a Blue Badge
If you are unsure or have a question about a blue badge, please complete our Blue Badge enquiry form and someone will reply to your enquiry