Skip to main content

Universal Credit and Universal Support

Universal Credit is a new benefit for working age people who are out of work or on a low income.

It is run by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and replaces the following six main working age benefits with a single monthly payment:

  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Universal Credit will be paid directly into your bank account each month. Any help you get with your rent will be included in your monthly Universal Credit payment so you will be responsible for paying your rent to your landlord.

You should only apply to Blackpool Council for help with your rent if:

  • You are a pensioner (and your partner if you have one is a pensioner), or
  • You live in a hostel, refuge, sheltered housing or a supported living complex
  • And you pay rent in the Blackpool Council area

Customers who need help with their council tax should continue to make this claim to the council.

More information

You can find out more information and search for popular terms on the central government website Universal Credit

Help to apply

Universal Credit is administered online; you will need to use the internet to make and manage your claim and to search for jobs.

Citizens Advice Blackpool can support you to make a new claim for Universal Credit from opening your account to receiving your first full payment.

You can call for an appointment at their office 6-10 Whitegate Drive, Blackpool, FY3 9AQ on 01253 308405 or you can drop in from 10.00am to 12 noon Monday to Friday.

If you prefer to receive help over the phone you can telephone 0800 144 8444

You can also access information from Universal Skills which is a training application developed to help you with the following:

Universal Credit

  • The benefits replaced by Universal Credit
  • Claiming Universal Credit and payments
  • Budgeting and penalties

Find a job

  • Basic computer skills
  • Find a job tools and skills

Job skills

  • Interview skills
  • Employment skills

You will be asked enter your surname, forename, email address or memorable word then choose the help to view. This is so you can spend time learning then save what you have done and go back to it later.

Blackpool libraries have computers available for residents to use free of charge. Library locations and opening times.  They also they run regular job and computer skills clubs.

Personal budgeting support

If you are struggling to manage your money, tell your job coach at the Job Centre who will be able to refer you for help and advice about this.

Council tax

Universal Credit does not include help towards your Council tax. You need to apply to the Council for help with this.

Free school meals

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit you may be entitled to free school meals for your child/children.

Find out more information about free school meals.