Skip to main content

Reporting fraud

Report fraud to Blackpool Council

You can report any of the following types of fraud to Blackpool Council:

  • Council Tax - Single Person Discount
  • Council Tax Reduction
  • Housing Benefits claims
  • Housing tenants
  • Payroll
  • Business Rates
  • Procurement
  • Insurance claims
  • Social care
  • Abuse of position - financial gain
  • Abuse of position - manipulation of data
  • General financial fraud
  • Blue badge parking/travel concessions/resident parking
  • Housing/Right to buy
  • Any other external or internal fraud, or theft of Blackpool Council's assets

Please provide as much information as possible to enable us to investigate the fraud.

We may want to contact you for further details, it is therefore important that you keep any relevant information about the fraud secure. We understand the some people may wish to remain anonymous, but by doing so it may be more difficult for us to investigate the matter you wish to report.

We will not disclose your identity to anyone if you have asked us not to.

The corporate fraud and investigations team can also be contacted via email

Report a change in circumstances

Examples of changes we need to know about in relation to Council Tax include:

  • Changes to your household, such as the number of adults living at the property
  • Children reaching the age of 18
  • Changes to your income or Universal Credit award
  • If you move address

If in doubt, tell us of the change.

If you receive Council Tax Reduction and/or Housing Benefit from Blackpool Council, you must report any changes in your circumstances.

Even if you do not receive Council Tax Reduction and/or Housing Benefit, you must still report any changes in your circumstances.

You should also report any changes in circumstances in relation to business rates.

Report fraud to the Department for Work and Pensions

Fraud involving the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is investigated by the DWP's own investigations team, not by Blackpool Council. If the fraud you wish to report involves a DWP benefit such as:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Universal Credit
  • Jobseeker Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Tax Credits

You should contact DWP directly. Fraud can be reported to DWP by telephone, post or online.

Advice of fraud and scams

If you think you have been a victim of fraud, which is not related to Blackpool Council or DWP, you can report it via telephone or online to Action Fraud.

Citizens Advice provides lots of useful advice and support to protect yourself and others from scams and fraud.