Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit for working age people who are out of work or on a low income and is administered by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). It replaces six main working age benefits with a single monthly payment.

The 6 main working age benefits it replaces are:

  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Universal Credit will be paid directly into your bank account each month. Any help you get with your rent will be included in your monthly Universal Credit payment which means that you will be responsible for paying your rent to your landlord.

More information

Find out more information about Universal Credit

Update on Universal Credit in Blackpool

The full service rollout has been moved back from September 2018 to December 2018.

There will be no new claims to Universal Credit in live service areas with effect from 31st December 2017. This means that customers will continue to claim Housing Benefit from 1st January 2018 to December 2018.